Is the K400 and K401 the same headphone?
Oct 11, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 18
There are different version of the K-400. From what I've read, for a while the K401 shared the same driver as the late production K-400. I wouldn't be surprised if there are different version of the K-401 as well.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allmost. There's only one difference.

Can you elaborate on this?
Or do you mean the number: 00 vs 01?

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 18
I had both at the same time, and while sharing the same general sound they are different. From what I remember, the k401 were more intimate, with slightly less soundstage, more bass and a more lively, forward sound. I preferred them to the k400.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 18
If you look at the service manual, here:

http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...5d21891b68.pdf

It indicates that there are two versions each of the K400 and K500. Fitz seems to say that there are more than that. That's normal - AKG doesn't always admit to a design change.

The docs indicate that each model has it's own driver. The differences between k400, k500, and k401 drivers are subtle, and a subject we've covered elsewhere - search for it. The K501 driver is a whole new design.

The K400 and K500 drivers were manufactured using a pretty normal vacuum forming system while the K401 and K501 were manufactured using AKG's patented Varimotion technology - google "varimotion patent" to find out how that works. It's pretty nifty. Basically they can vary the thickness of the driver material to make it stiff where it ought to be stiff and pliant where it needs to be pliant.

AKG seems to argue that K400 drivers are the same in both versions of the K400 they admit to, and K500 drivers are the same in both versions of the K500.

Visually, we've seen some drivers where the solder lugs are on either side of the frame and some where the solder lugs are right next to each other. But i don't believe anyone has reported that these sound different from each other. All of them have the same frame with three spots for solder lugs, and we have no idea why some are different. Might just be a different assembly jig.

AKG also admits to two different versions of the "disk" or what orthoists like myself have taken to calling a baffle. This is what the driver is mounted into.

Again, the k501 version count thread has more detail on the issue, but i can tell you that there are way more holes in the K500 baffles i have here than in the K401 baffle. There may be as many as four different versions of the baffle spotted in the wild, but one of those may be the K601 baffle.

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 18
Besides the drivers, different earpads are also resposible for sound variations, between the models and with same models.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both at the same time, and while sharing the same general sound they are different. From what I remember, the k401 were more intimate, with slightly less soundstage, more bass and a more lively, forward sound. I preferred them to the k400.

Yes, I completely agree.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dopeboyfresh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And whatabout the K500 and K501?

Differences are subtle, but I like the K500 just a bit more in all departments, especially bass. You can't go wrong with either of them, though.

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 18
I have seen at least 3 different looking k400 drivers on the forum.

Thus far there is the:
-Shiny Driver
-Matte finish, but clear
-Frosted finish

The one I have is the Matte finish, but mine has a clear green glue dot on the inside of the driver that seems to be holding on of the end wires of the coil. It is identical on both sides. I haven't seen any pictures of any of the drivers having this green, clear glue dot.

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 18
The original design of the K400/K500 drivers uses the AKG Sticky Blue Snot™ to secure the voice coil wires against the diaphragm (and also had both go to the same side of the driver, hence the spot for an extra solder post that still exists to this day with the K701). Same stuff is used on the K1000 where the wires attach to the solder posts as a strain relief. Even after they stopped using it, they still left the small indentation in the diaphragm for the goop to go into, which puzzled me for the longest time until I first saw one of the early drivers and realized what it was for. I've never seen it in green though, maybe somebody replaced the AKG Sticky Blue Snot™ on yours with their... ehm... own brand?

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original design of the K400/K500 drivers uses the AKG Sticky Blue Snot™ to secure the voice coil wires against the diaphragm (and also had both go to the same side of the driver, hence the spot for an extra solder post that still exists to this day with the K701). Same stuff is used on the K1000 where the wires attach to the solder posts as a strain relief. Even after they stopped using it, they still left the small indentation in the diaphragm for the goop to go into, which puzzled me for the longest time until I first saw one of the early drivers and realized what it was for. I've never seen it in green though, maybe somebody replaced the AKG Sticky Blue Snot™ on yours with their... ehm... own brand?

Oh, good you cleared that up. I thought that my dog puked on my K1000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back