Is the iRiver SlimX imp-400 anygood?
Nov 25, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I just won a imp-400 on ebay for $40 and I was wondering if its a good sounding cd player? Thanks.

It should sound nice if you're not used to using the line-out (as that's just a second headphoen jack!). I have their iMP-550 and iMP-150 if the iMP-400 is anything like the '550 or even their legendary '300-series, you should have something very nice, providing no defects...

Nov 25, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

I just won a imp-400 on ebay for $40 and I was wondering if its a good sounding cd player? Thanks.

I guess you'll find out soon enough
orphsmile.gif

I have no direct experience with this model but my favorite PCDP is my aging SlimX imp-350. It has terrific sound, at least to my ears. I am guessing that the imp-400 will sound similar. One great feature of these PCDP's is that you can create custom EQ's. These players also have excellent antishock.

When you get the SlimX you should check the iRiver website to see if there has been a firmware upgrade since your unit was made.

Nov 25, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 13
the cranberry color one or the sivler one? the cranberry is really the most beautiful cd player ever. seriously, i had one and i cherish it more than an ipod. even though people kept saying it look like a toilet seat.

its not the best sounding player, but pretty decent. and for $40, thats a good buy, since it have quite a bit of features and look good. antiskip is okay, but not as good sony. dont go jogging with it. its probably the case for me becuase i put it in a holder and strap it on my belt. if you hold the cd player with your hand while walking then it wont skip at all.

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/509/5699imp400.jpg

Nov 25, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
the cranberry color one or the sivler one? the cranberry is really the most beautiful cd player ever. seriously, i had one and i cherish it more than an ipod. even though people kept saying it look like a toilet seat.
http://photo.head-fi.org/data/509/5699imp400.jpg

Its the silver one. LOL yeah it does look like a toilet seat.
orphsmile.gif
I am not worried about it skipping I am just goinf to use it around the house. I have my iAudio for exercising anyway.

I like how that remote looks. How long is the battery life and does it have a radio?

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Oh man. I sold my iMP-350 a few weeks ago to pay for ER-6i's, and now I keep seeing these threads talking about the 350's great SQ
mad.gif
I never had a chance to use them with a really good pair of headphones. It definitely sounded better than my iPod unamped (great bass!), but I wish I'd been able to test them with an amp and some good cans.

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X
...I keep seeing these threads talking about the 350's great SQ
mad.gif

Most people think the sound is just ok. Where are you seeing people claiming its "great" ?
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 13
Well I just got my imp-450 todaay and I am impressed!!! The build quality is superb! Its built like a tank, its rather heavy but it tells you "build quality baby!". Soundwise I am impressed also, its not the suppose to be the best sounding cd player out there, but to me it sounds more detailed than my iAudio and Rio Karma. Well so far anyway, I have been playin with it for about an hour so I have not been listening criticaly yet . Oh and it has a crap load of features like user modes even though I'll be the only one to use it.
biggrin.gif
I am still trying to figure this thing out.

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Well I just got my imp-450 todaay and I am impressed!!! The build quality is superb! Its built like a tank, its rather heavy but it tells you "build quality baby!". Soundwise I am impressed also, its not the suppose to be the best sounding cd player out there, but to me it sounds more detailed than my iAudio and Rio Karma. Well so far anyway, I have been playin with it for about an hour so I have not been listening criticaly yet . Oh and it has a crap load of features like user modes even though I'll be the only one to use it.
biggrin.gif
I am still trying to figure this thing out.

Welcome to the reason why I wish iRiver never stopped making MP3-CD players... :)

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 13
i dont like the fact that when you push the clip behind the remote your thumb will accident press on the back button (or forward, i forgot) on the front, so when you want to use the clip you have to turn on the hold button to not skip your song.

also no stop button on the actual player, while the only jogger has 8 functions.

you can queue a song also, if i remember correctly, go to the song navigation menu, choose a song and press the bottom jogger on the remote.

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i dont like the fact that when you push the clip behind the remote your thumb will accident press on the back button (or forward, i forgot) on the front, so when you want to use the clip you have to turn on the hold button to not skip your song.

also no stop button on the actual player, while the only jogger has 8 functions.

you can queue a song also, if i remember correctly, go to the song navigation menu, choose a song and press the bottom jogger on the remote.

Yeah thats one of the first things I noticed about the remote. When it on pause or playing a silent passage did you get that annoying clicking noise in the background? I do, I can hear it with my a900's and etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back