Is the Ipod shuffle 1G still worth it?
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

montell

100+ Head-Fier
I can get a NOS Ipod shuffle 1G 1GB for about $20. I was wondering if its still worth getting it nowadays when you got players like the clip.

I somehow recall that the shuffle is suppose to be one of the best sounding mp3 players ever created.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 13
The Clip isn't much more, and with that you get a screen and Ogg Vorbis support, so it's worth it to spend a little extra and go for the Clip, in my opinion.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Buy the shuffle. I bet you could sell it for $30.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 13
iTunes and the ability to do Lossless I believe... I'm going to get one myself for Ultra Portability.

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes and the ability to do Lossless I believe... I'm going to get one myself for Ultra Portability.

It's funny you should mention lossless. I just downloaded the rite of spring recording an hour or so ago from this thread, and when I tried to play it on my 512mb iPod shuffle, it... froze.
frown.gif

But at any rate, I love the shuffle. It's been my primary MP3 player since December 2006 (Purchased for $29). For a little 512mb player, transfer speeds to/from it are fast, ~8MB/s. (My sansa e230 gets ~1-2)

SQ is truly amazing. With my Sennheiser PX100's, it is in another league from both my e230 and SB Live! value. I'd say it also slightly edges out my SB Live! 24-bit, a card that has been compared as being similar to the AV710 on here before. Only gripe I've ever had with SQ is that the "haircut" clip from the binaural recordings thread (stickied in music subforum) doesn't sound quite as realistic as on the the Live 24-bit. And I have a hunch that it boosts the bass a little as you near maximum volume, but that may just be my PX100's.

So yeah, for $20, pick it up. Nearly bulletproof player, you can use it for exercise without worry. Also nice is the fact that it automatically pauses if you pull the headphones out of the jack, which means if you have it in your pocket and you need to stop listening, you don't even need to press any buttons or take it out, just remove the headphones.

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it wont play lossless. ive had two and love both

Oh, you're right, it doesn't support loseless. Well, it does support WAV, but then you're only getting about an hour and a half of play time, so why not just break out the CD player?

Apple's solution:

Quote:

AIFF and Apple Lossless Encoder files won't play on iPod shuffle. However, you can convert these file formats to AAC for iPod shuffle play. To do this, just select the "Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC for this iPod" in the iPod Preferences in iTunes.

Brilliant!
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by yelo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, you're right, it doesn't support loseless. Well, it does support WAV, but then you're only getting about an hour and a half of play time, so why not just break out the CD player?

Apple's solution:

Brilliant!
biggrin.gif

Ah. I thought I read on the iPod site that it does apple lossless. Sucks. But I think that for $20 it's a good buy. I'm still going to pick one up. I actually want to get the red one. That's the one I like.

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 13
For $20 it's a no-brainer. Especially if it's NOS since those are getting rare... (some of the ones you see on eBay are knock-offs). Very good sound quality and an internal amp that can drive low-impedance headphones better than some portable amps that have been popular around here. Downsides are no lossless (and iTunes won't automatically transcode lossless except at 128kbps, which means you have to do it manually or via a script) and a physical interface that leaves something to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back