Is the iMod worth the extra $199 ?
Oct 29, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #151 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
I don't mind the fact that you don't approve of my tone I just greet people with the same tone I observe. What does chastising someone over the internet accomplish... It is the internet ...

We will see bamboobrown but sour grapes do make fine wines. let the ebay search begin...

no way you'd talk to people with that kind of tone in person. eventually, you'd get you're rear end kicked. the only people that i respect that could talk that way was hunter thompson and charles bukowski, neither of whom you can compete with. so why not lighten up and be nice. unless you're in some godforsaken world where the way you speak is considered polite. if so, it's no place i've been to (yet).

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #153 of 337
Quote:

There aren't any arguments in this thread when someone question the validity of the claims here they just get swatted down by all the users who feel obligated to defend their purchase. What would one do if you realized you spent 200 dollars on something that does what a 10 dollar dock connector does?

There is enough praise and demand here for the iMod that if someone got it and was not satisfied with it they could easily get rid of it for nearly what they paid (hec maybe more if they got a good deal on the 4g photo ipod). Yet there is nobody selling the iMods (I know cuz I'v been looking), so to me that says something.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #154 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1
Vinnie, the manufacturer, recommends using uncompressed or lossless files for the iMod. It seems there would be no point in getting the iMod if you plan to listen to 128 mp3 files on it, because you would be able to hear the compression of these files even more.

Hello,
Please forgive my ignorance on this. What do you mea by "Lossless"? How can I make a song that I have downloaded from internet to be a losseless one? I am now using itune to listen to my music, does'nt ituneconvert the music to Apple losselss?

Thanks.
Mo:)

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #155 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by moshken
Hello,
Please forgive my ignorance on this. What do you mea by "Lossless"? How can I make a song that I have downloaded from internet to be a losseless one? I am now using itune to listen to my music, does'nt ituneconvert the music to Apple losselss?

Thanks.

Mo,

I've found this quite useful, especially when I have the urge to threadjack or ask off-topic questions.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #156 of 337
Quote:

Posted by moshken
Hello,

NO in Itunes prefrences>importing there is an option for what type of files you want mp3,aac etc and at what bitrate you want to import.

This is ONLY for CD's you rip into itunes. Itunes used 128aac for anything you purchase which is ownly slightly better in quality to 128mp3 with a smaller file size.

Applelossless is an option where it keep the full integrety of the music and decreases the file size slighlty over using other formats but there is very little loss if any vs other compressed formats.

Apple should allow customers to choose what size file they want to purchase or at least give a lossless option when buying from Itunes.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #157 of 337
The other thing that must be said is that while it's OK to doubt whether the iMod makes a huge difference (although my experience is that it does indeed, and that the difference is in fact very easy to demonstrate even to novices), to call it "snake oil" is both inappropriate and incorrect, regardless of the mod's effecacy.

Vinne does REAL WORK in the iMod, based on very sound principles. Simplifying the analog output stage and using higher quality capacitors is hardly the stuff of snake-oil - it's what has made good audio products better than cheap ones for decades.

So doubt if you will, but do not accuse Vinnie of selling snake-oil - the iMod is easy to justify price-wise based on the labor and parts that go into it, and it makes good audio sense.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #158 of 337
All,

Here is an "iMod updates" topic that I just posted:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...26#post2460926

First and foremost, I want to thank you all for your continued support and interest in the iMod! I am being very honest when I say that EVERYONE who has purchased the iMod has been very pleased with the results. Thank you for posting your feedback on the forums, and for those of you who read the forums but don't post, thank you for the feedback in your emails.

Quote:

I don't have 200 dollars to waste on snake oil, but I guess I am just going to start looking on ebay for some 4th gen ipods.

Uggghh... Some of you may recall a similar thread a few months ago by someone who had an axe to grind with the iMod (for whatever reason and without even hearing it!) and wanted measurements done and insulted iMod customers and all that "fun stuff."
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I learned a lesson from that thread. The lesson is that it is just a waste of my time and everyone elses time arguing. We all (you know, the lunatics, fanboys, crazy ones, whatever) could have spent valuable time relaxing and listening to music, enjoying life, spending time with family, etc., instead of wasting it when someone comes along with a flame thrower. We all know that this is going to happen from time to time
biggrin.gif

While I DO deeply appreciate my iMod customers standing behind the iMod (and each of their own two ears!), it is much easier to just ignore such posts.

My website explains what the iMod is, what is being done, how the circuit path is simplified, and how I believe it improves the sound. For over a year now, iMod customers have been posting how they believe it has improved the sound for them in their systems.

I am much too busy trying to get orders finished on time to even bother with a back-and-forth pissing contest
biggrin.gif
As I mentioned in the post linked to above, more and more iPods are coming in and I am trying my best to keep the lead-times as short as possible.

Thanks for keeping the peace (well, most of the time!).

Thanks again and best regards,

Vinnie

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #159 of 337
Guys, just remember that it is perfectly healthy to ask, question, argue, and give personal advice/opinions about components and modifications (after all, that it is one of the things that makes Head-Fi, well...Head-fi), but it is a violation of the TOU to name-call or slander other members. That is what gets posts deleted and threads locked.

I know people feel strongly about their beliefs and convictions (I know I do), but there are two ways to convey those beliefs, and one of them is not cool behavior at Head-Fi.
Personal attacks, even at a manufacturer who happens to be a member here, is just defeatist in accomplishing anything with hopes of a positive outcome.

If anyone has a imod that they are not happy with, I would be interested in taking it off their hands, being that I unfortunately own a 3rd generation Ipod (amongst an Iriver and an IAudio) and don't want to first get another Ipod and then get the mod done.

cool.gif
On another note, I would be interested to hear if anyone has compared the Wolfson WM8975 DAC output to an un-modded Ipod's lineout (with dock, of course) through a MicroDac. Either way, you still have to use an amp, but the MicroDac adds a lot of girth for portability.

Oct 29, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #160 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Mo,

I've found this quite useful, especially when I have the urge to threadjack or ask off-topic questions.
wink.gif

Hi Bob,

I really would like to thank you very much for your very kind help by enlighten me to use that web site. I usually do that, but as you know some times we can't find the real answer to our question, so we seek help from nice people like you.
Anyhow I am very sorry if I thread jacked and ask some off-topic questions.

Again thanks for your help.

Oct 30, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #161 of 337
Quote:

Originally Posted by niknik
You are clearly not observing the tone on this forum very well then

I'd give Vinnie 400 bucks to put snake oil in my iPod -but then again I'm just a raving lunatic /fanboy

noted lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino

Thank you that is why I do plan on purchasing the imod my self but I do wonder why no imod user has run their own tests. I have alot of respect for Dr.Xin and other manufactures that publish documentation of their products.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger

the tone in my text bares a great deal of similarity to my speech it is easier for me to write like that and it simply takes too much effort to be polite :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R.

I believe headfi has a designated region for members of the trade. Though it is nice to see you business is doing well I don't think advertisement belongs in this thread. You should contact a mod about becoming a member of the trade.

Oct 30, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #162 of 337
Quote:

noted lol

Thank you that is why I do plan on purchasing the imod my self [sic] but I do wonder why no imod user has run their [sic] own tests. I have alot of respect for Dr.Xin and other manufactures [sic] that publish documentation of their products.

the tone in my text bares [sic] a great deal of similarity to my speech it is easier for me to write like that and it simply takes too much effort to be polite :p

I believe headfi has a designated region for members of the trade. Though it is nice to see you [sic] business is doing well I don't think advertisement belongs in this thread. You should contact a mod about becoming a member of the trade.

Ok, we get the point... Now, may we please get back on topic? I'm not a defender or a skeptic of the iMod (just a neutral observer who's never heard it), but it appears that this topic was dedicated to actual users/owners of the product to compare the cost to the performance. And from reading the posts in this thread, it appears that people overwhelmingly think that the performance indeed justifies the cost.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #164 of 337
Quote:

I believe headfi has a designated region for members of the trade. Though it is nice to see you business is doing well I don't think advertisement belongs in this thread. You should contact a mod about becoming a member of the trade.

It was not an advertisment, it was a reply to something you said, as pretty much anybody with the ability to read could see. If you don't want the person who makes this product to reply to you, then by all means, post on a forum where he does not. Otherwise, accept that he is a member here and may reply to messages as he pleases, just like anybody else. Personally, I also have doubts about the overall effect an iMod has, but your tone in this thread has been embarassing to read.

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #165 of 337
it's really too bad that vinnie only mods the 4th gen ipod, especially after all this great stuff i've been reading about on his imod.. wonder why others haven't followed in his footsteps and tried modding other players? vinnie deserves a medal for attempting this idea.

oh, and i wonder why built in amps similar to the one found in the kenwood hd daps aren't being applied to other players.. haven't other companies realized yet that there's a relatively large audiophile/semi-audiophile market out there?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back