Is the Iaudio6 or U3 much better then Iaudio5?
May 4, 2006 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Basketballer

New Head-Fier
After having my Iaudio5 stolen, this is the first time I've concidered another Mp3 player. To who ever is in the loop now, I am out. If I'm an idiot for picking the older Iaudio5 over these new players, tell me!

The touch screen on the Iaudio6 doesn't look like a way to have full control. I mean, if i'm walking around or riding my bike, i want to be able to put my hand in my pocket without pulling the player out, and raising or lowering, or pausing the music on command, right away, and easily. Will I be able to do that with this player? Is there buttons on the side i can feel, to raise the volume?

The little peg on the U3 looks like it would snag or break, or gunk would build up at the bottom of the stick/peg/joystick, no? I got so used to the Iaudio5 Menu and Navigation, it doesn't seem like there could be a better simple, clear, pleasant menu/navigation. Could there? I found it easy and fast to control the music with side scroll button, are the new players just as easy or easier?

The biggest thing that appeals to me about the new players it the 60mW vs the 26 of the Iaudio5. I could easily max the volume to 40 and at times, like during the day riding my bike, or on the bus, and still want it to get louder. Is this extra power significant? If so, wouldn't that make the sound quality of these new players a lot better? Especially for those of us who like rap and hard hitting, deep, basslines, right?

Accessories are big! Is there an armband for the U3 or Iaudio6? Protective case?

And finally, BATTERY. I loved using my rechargable AAA batteries for these reasons... 1) I didn't feel like the player's rechargable battery would die on me in 2 years conveniently just after the warranty ended. and if before, I wouldn't have to pay or even wait to have it repaired by sending it somewhere. 2) I never had to wait to recharge, since i had enough fully charged backup batteries. 3)The AAA batteries actually lasted for a decent ammount of time until it died. And if not, i always had the backups with me, so no problem!

What are the REAL battery lifetimes for these players? which lasts the longer/least? How convenient is charging the player? And I loved the Keychain USB adapter for the Iaudio5. Do the new player have the same adapter? if not, does it have atleast the same convenient type of adapter (keychain)?

I feel like i've addressed MAJOR issues here. I really hope I'm going to be able to get answers to these two threads I just spent a good ammount of time writing and hope I get them fast because I'm ready to order now. damn "out of stock", come on now, be prepared, get professional with it, stop being cheap, do what it takes. Make that money and make us happy COWON!

May 4, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 10
When I read your thread title, I thought of battery choice and was going to stress that as a factor in your decision (I didn't know about the higher output levels). It sounds like you like using rechargeable AAAs, too. It's good that Cowon offers variety in battery types, and it will be interesting to read whether anyone can compare sound betweern the iAudio 5 and the newer models (I've got a 5, and I think it sounds really good). Although it sounds like you're already making up your mind to get another iAudio 5, it also sounds like you're open to recommendations.

Oh -- sorry about the theft of your player. That's a shame. Good luck with the selection process.

May 4, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 10
LaBreaHead said:
Although it sounds like you're already making up your mind to get another iAudio 5, it also sounds like you're open to recommendations.QUOTE]

No I didn't make up my mind. It's just that i want to make sure i'm happy with my decision. I really shouldn't spend the money to buy another one, but since I am, I just want to make as sure as possible i don't regret my decision.

ANYWAY, I just got an email from COWON....and they have discontinued the Iaudio5 aka the best mp3 player known to man. What a shame. I don't know whats up with them. I guess they're business plans are aggressive and it might work. Either that, or they are poor. Which I don't get cuz they're products are amazing. But anyway WHYYYYYYY!!!? Does anyone know somewhere that is still selling them? So this might make my upgrade decision a little easier if I can't find one on ebay or anywhere...I was worried about this too.

But If you guys are reading this, please comment. it sucks checking this thing for advice and seeing it was viewed 80 times, and no one says anything. Someone has to know something. no personal experience with these players?

May 5, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't have any personal experience with these players, but I do have an iAudio G3 in combo with an Etymotic ER-6i and I absolutely them. I know you're not considering the G3 but since you're not getting responses, here I go. Great sound, and the AA battery says it lasts for 50 hours. I never actually timed it, but I've had it a few months and I have only replaced the battery a few times. In fact I have to replace the foam earplugs for my Ety's more often than the battery in the iAudio!

As far as volume, this combo plays louder with no distortion than any human could possibly endure. The volume goes up to 40 and I've never had it past 27. The Ety's block outside noise almost completely which helps.

I only listened to the G3 once or twice with the stock earphones. They were good but not great. The Ety's are great! In fact, I'd say this combo rivals or surpasses my personal "reference" system that I used in the 70's and 80's, which was a Shure V15 type 4 cartridge, Lafayette amp and Koss Pro 4AA cans. We're talking vinyl records of course.

The G3 can be easily operated while it's in your pocket. The little joystick lets you move between tracks and change the volume. If you want to move to a new folder, though, you'll have to take it out and look at the display.

My only criticism is that the manual is pretty much useless. It just doesn't tell you a whole lot about what some of the features actually do, and in some cases is plain wrong. I learned mostly by trial and error but it's not that difficult.

May 5, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 10
i still see them here and there in.... sweden, tada
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbholde
I don't have any personal experience with these players, but I do have an iAudio G3 in combo with an Etymotic ER-6i and I absolutely them. I know you're not considering the G3 but since you're not getting responses, here I go. Great sound, and the AA battery says it lasts for 50 hours. I never actually timed it, but I've had it a few months and I have only replaced the battery a few times. In fact I have to replace the foam earplugs for my Ety's more often than the battery in the iAudio!

As far as volume, this combo plays louder with no distortion than any human could possibly endure. The volume goes up to 40 and I've never had it past 27. The Ety's block outside noise almost completely which helps.

I only listened to the G3 once or twice with the stock earphones. They were good but not great. The Ety's are great! In fact, I'd say this combo rivals or surpasses my personal "reference" system that I used in the 70's and 80's, which was a Shure V15 type 4 cartridge, Lafayette amp and Koss Pro 4AA cans. We're talking vinyl records of course.

The G3 can be easily operated while it's in your pocket. The little joystick lets you move between tracks and change the volume. If you want to move to a new folder, though, you'll have to take it out and look at the display.

My only criticism is that the manual is pretty much useless. It just doesn't tell you a whole lot about what some of the features actually do, and in some cases is plain wrong. I learned mostly by trial and error but it's not that difficult.

the g3 is pretty sweet. They are hard to fine, and I wish that a 2gig u3 can be around 150 bucks.

May 16, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Now I am curious as well about the difference in sound quality in I5 and U3... and is that difference (26mW vs 60mW) even noticeable with quality headphones/earphones (those Etymotics come to mind)?

May 16, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbholde
...in combo with an Etymotic ER-6i...

how do SONY MDR-EX71SL earphones compare to those? any idea? Etymotics are like $100+, while Sonys I can get for $30

May 16, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Digressing into a headphone discussion a bit ... among others, I have the Sony's and some Etymotics, and they're very different.

The Sony's have a "fun" sound, suitable for non-critical or non-audiophile listening (for example, 128kbps files). Many, many people on these forums criticize their sound, but they're decent everyday earphones if you don't expect "Head-Fi" sound quality. They don't really isolate, but they overcome outside noise much better than simple earbuds. Good value, good first upgrade from bundled earphones (although the Creative canal phones are better, in my opinion).

The Etymotics are entry-level in-ear monitors -- they have a lot of treble (compared to the pronounced "soft" bass of the Sony's) and give the impression of great clarity. They isolate quite well -- as well as any other IEMs, probably -- which helps with the impression they make on the listener. You'll hear instruments and voices you hadn't heard before in your favorite music (unless you had been listening previously through good-quality headphones). Etymotics would sound quite good with an iAudio flash player.

May 17, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 10
The sound quality of whole COWON line is the same. Its a package / design thing. Also battery life and of its replaceable or not, that's all.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back