is the hornet a good all around amp?
Jan 28, 2007 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

legbone

100+ Head-Fier
i am getting ready to buy some serious (for my price range) headphones. i will be getting one of the following: the sennheiser hd595's, the grado 225's, the beyerdynamic dt-770 (80 ohm version), or the beyerdynamic dt 880's. will this amp be sufficient for each of these? if not, what should i go with? also, i have a set of vmoda vibes already. will this amp help those at all? thanks in advance. also, any recommendations on the above listed cans?

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Yes. If you're looking for a portable amp, the Hornet will be great with all mentioned. It has a three position gain switch so can handle most anything except the hardest to drive headphones (K340s, etc). I like mine with my HD650s, my Darth Beyers (770/80), and my Ety ER4Ps. If you decide to get it, believe the burn-in posts you read here. I wasn't a believer, but mine sounded great out of the box, not so great later, and now, at 250hrs or so, has been consistently sweet.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 12
The Hornet will amplify all the good and bad points from your source. I find that after 125 hours or 150 hours there is quite a substantial change. Another 250 hours to hit the 400 hours burn in mark.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 12
Great Amp Highly Recommend!!!!!

Type in hornet in the search bar and you will find many great reviews. In addition it was named on of audiophile magazines products of the year!

Cant go wrong with the Hornet and Great Customer service as well!

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by legbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am getting ready to buy some serious (for my price range) headphones. i will be getting one of the following: the sennheiser hd595's...

I've found the HD595's and e4 sound are expanded especially in the Mid-low and Mid range, again by a burned-in Hornet.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Yes it is, but when I can I prefer to listen to my SR-71 which is close in price.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 12
thanks guys. looks like i am going to end up getting a pair of 595's and no amp right now. but i will start saving for a hornet. my concern is it will bring out all the flaws of my source (main concern is the zune). oh well, looks like i may have to start saving for that rega apollo also! geez, my wallet sure does hate this place, but my heart (and ears
tongue.gif
) loves it. hmmm, it is tax time.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

thanks guys. looks like i am going to end up getting a pair of 595's and no amp right now. but i will start saving for a hornet. my concern is it will bring out all the flaws of my source (main concern is the zune). oh well, looks like i may have to start saving for that rega apollo also! geez, my wallet sure does hate this place, but my heart (and ears
tongue.gif

the zune is a great portable source. I had the toshiba gigabeat s60 which is like the sibling of the zune and there is no hiss whatsoever out of the headphone jack and it is much more musical then the creative vision m and the ipod. The only bad thing is the lack of a line out!

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

tongue.gif

DONT GET TOO CT P IN THE HYPE! You dont need an apollo and an amp to have great sound. A zune with a Hornet would sound great Im sure! My IPOD/Hornet combo is very closr to my Rega PLanet 2000 and hr-2.

The fact of amplifying the imperfections is only half the story you also amplify the positive attributes as well. You wont just notice the bad is what im saying.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

i am getting ready to buy some serious (for my price range) headphones. i will be getting one of the following: the sennheiser hd595's, the grado 225's, the beyerdynamic dt-770 (80 ohm version), or the beyerdynamic dt 880's. will this amp be sufficient for each of these? if not, what should i go with? also, i have a set of vmoda vibes already. will this amp help those at all? thanks in advance. also, any recommendations on the above listed cans?

I currently use my Hornet with DT880-250/2005, K701, K501, HD650, HD600, PXC300, Vsonic and ES2 IEMs, and find that it pairs with/drives all with ease, and sounds beautiful with all of these. I've heard it sounding great with 7701s, HF-1s, RS-1s, and HP1000s, though I haven't yet tried it with the 225s. I'm sure I've tried it with more phones, but these are the ones that come quickly to mind.

I use my Hornet (and Tomahawk) most often with my 4G 40GB iPod via ALO Jumbo Silk Dock, with great satisfaction, though I certainly have other larger amps/DACS/Transports here and at work that I also use.

After you've searched the various Hornet threads, feel free to come back if you have any particular questions.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

tongue.gif

The HD595's sound really nice without an amp -- quite easy to drive.
An amp just makes them better.

Oh, and, uhmm, "sorry about your wallet" (standard Head-Fi quote).
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back