Is the hobby the product (end result) itself or process of finding it?
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
After all these years of looking for headphones, and findings some good ones, others not as expected in value or lower quality. I can't help but to question what is actually the hobby. I'm finding that the process of doing research, and looking for the product in the midst of many products and it's reviews was the interesting part. And also for a lot of us here, sharing and expressing our thoughts on them.

Listening to them and finding out is that peak point (or findings the good one is the reward), but I can't help but think that the process is really the hobby. Perhaps underneath, I do enjoy going through the Internets to find products that ticks my fancy.

I guess I like discovery. And the process involved for the discovery seems to be the hobby itself.

Anybody thought about this? It seems I actually like shopping, looking at products, finding out more about them, and finding things that has good value personally and economically.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 5
There is an audiophile Youtuber who goes by the name Thomas and Stereo and he says that his particular audiophile hobby is a journey. He has owned an enormous amount of gear and is crazy active in research.

Sure you can buy something great and expensive and forget about it....but the process of the hunt is popular for many people.

It’s also a part of escapism too. I’m not into TV shows so reading about gear is fun to me.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 5
After all these years of looking for headphones, and findings some good ones, others not as expected in value or lower quality. I can't help but to question what is actually the hobby. I'm finding that the process of doing research, and looking for the product in the midst of many products and it's reviews was the interesting part. And also for a lot of us here, sharing and expressing our thoughts on them.

Listening to them and finding out is that peak point (or findings the good one is the reward), but I can't help but think that the process is really the hobby. Perhaps underneath, I do enjoy going through the Internets to find products that ticks my fancy.

I guess I like discovery. And the process involved for the discovery seems to be the hobby itself.

Anybody thought about this? It seems I actually like shopping, looking at products, finding out more about them, and finding things that has good value personally and economically.

For most regulars on Head-fi, myself included, I thinks it’s very much the process of discovery. Finding a stellar product for a good price is the “high”, that sadly tends to fade, no matter how good the product is. Just like bargain hunting.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Is the hobby the product (end result) itself or process of finding it?

Yes...

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 5
I believe there is a thing called gear lust. You have your eye on a piece of gear and you’re really considering getting it.

Its sort of like being obsessed with a woman but it’s a piece of gear that your lusting after. It could be that gorgeous headphone or that gorgeous set of speakers or that exquisite big amp with the sexy huge power supply or that eye catching beautiful fat cable with those exquisite braids. You can’t keep your eye away and you know that your hands are gonna soon hold it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back