Is the HiFiman RE-400 still relevant? It's dirt cheap now!
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Is the HiFiman RE-400 still relevant? It's dirt cheap now! The lowest I've seen is $22 shipped from an authorized dealer. Back in its heyday, the price was $100, then dropped to $80 and stayed that way for a long time. In the Crinacle Discord I was told that these are ancient tech now, and that's probably why they're so cheap. Is there any truth to this? I know that Tyll H. put them on his Wall of Fame, ljokerl gave them a 10/10 value (back when they were full price!), and ClieOS gave them a 5/5 Sonic Diamond. Is there something in this price range much newer that puts these to shame or something?

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 12
Not going to lie, 22 bucks is a steal for the RE-400.

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Not going to lie, 22 bucks is a steal for the RE-400.
That is EXACTLY how I feel. I was considering these years ago, and somehow I randomly came across a price of $30 and had to jump on a pair. To my ears, other than the bass, they sound noticeably better than the Grado SR-60i, which is widely considered to be about the top headphone for under $100. I really don't understand the low price.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 12
That is EXACTLY how I feel. I was considering these years ago, and somehow I randomly came across a price of $30 and had to jump on a pair. To my ears, other than the bass, they sound noticeably better than the Grado SR-60i, which is widely considered to be about the top headphone for under $100. I really don't understand the low price.

Probably trying to rid of their last stock.

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 12
I’ve never heard the RE-400, but did jump on one of the very first hype-trains with the original HiFiman RE0. It was around $70 if I remember right in 2009? And it’s funny too as I have numerous China made IEMs from all different years. The RE0 broke and I threw it out. Still I think about how quality changed so much. It’s really gone across a whole range of characteristics and a rainbow of tones as plethoras of IEMs came out. But I have to say 2020 was like the start of Chinese cheap IEMs getting really really good. Like almost end-game good for $23. It’s so crazy that you almost can’t get your head around it.

The BLON BL-01 $23
The Tripowin TC-01 $49

It, as always depends on how well the new Chinese IEMs fulfill your sound signature order. Much IS subjective, yet maybe 80% of it’s not. And this is someone who has slowly gone back and forth in opinion. So maybe one year being positive, then two more years or three years wondering if buying a Chinese IEM was even worth it.

I mean let’s face it. If people just stopped getting the FOTM IEM and saved money for a year they would have enough to get a flagship IEM. And......for the longest time I still had frustrations. The frustrations are due to figuring out what’s wrong after a while. There starts a hype-train and everyone goes blind to possible issues and just keeps fueling the fire. Then at times the issue or a small thing gets pointed out and then people start noticing the issue as a reality across the board. It doesn’t even have to be a real issue, but if a few speak out others start to hear it. It’s very wild how sound perception can be so fickle at times.

So at this point I’m on the upswing in believing in Chinese values.

The Triptowin is $49 and just crazy complete and competitive with way higher priced IEMs. I think back about the RE0 and laugh.

761CE8B8-6F18-4094-A5E4-67DB2B3E5004.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 12
I’ve never heard the RE-400, but did jump on one of the very first hype-trains with the original HiFiman RE0. It was around $70 if I remember right in 2009? And it’s funny too as I have numerous China made IEMs from all different years. The RE0 broke and I threw it out. Still I think about how quality changed so much. It’s really gone across a whole range of characteristics and a rainbow of tones as plethoras of IEMs came out. But I have to say 2020 was like the start of Chinese cheap IEMs getting really really good. Like almost end-game good for $23. It’s so crazy that you almost can’t get your head around it.

The BLON BL-01 $23
The Tripowin TC-01 $49

It, as always depends on how well the new Chinese IEMs fulfill your sound signature order. Much IS subjective, yet maybe 80% of it’s not. And this is someone who has slowly gone back and forth in opinion. So maybe one year being positive, then two more years or three years wondering if buying a Chinese IEM was even worth it.

I mean let’s face it. If people just stopped getting the FOTM IEM and saved money for a year they would have enough to get a flagship IEM. And......for the longest time I still had frustrations. The frustrations are due to figuring out what’s wrong after a while. There starts a hype-train and everyone goes blind to possible issues and just keeps fueling the fire. Then at times the issue or a small thing gets pointed out and then people start noticing the issue as a reality across the board. It doesn’t even have to be a real issue, but if a few speak out others start to hear it. It’s very wild how sound perception can be so fickle at times.

So at this point I’m on the upswing in believing in Chinese values.

The Triptowin is $49 and just crazy complete and competitive with way higher priced IEMs. I think back about the RE0 and laugh.

761CE8B8-6F18-4094-A5E4-67DB2B3E5004.jpeg
I really appreciate all the good information. :) I will check these out!

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 12
I was reserved about posting anything. But it has just been this funny process to where the RE0 kept coming-up in my memory.......then I go on Head-Fi and see this thread! I’m not even an expert in all the sub $60 range of Chinese IEMs. A bunch of my IEM purchases have been in the $200 range, so....I all of a sudden learn about how these seemingly great advances are maybe special. But also I mean.....the HiFiMan sound in the regards to bass, may not be my thing? I enjoyed the RE0 back in the day regardless of the bass, just due to how well the upper end was done, and I’m guess the RE-400 may be similar. Of course many could trash the TC-01 due to it not being their style, and hold the RE-400 still as top in class and the ultimate bargain for the price you can get them for today.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 12
In my short opinion, RE-400 for $22 is definitely a good deal, I had them for quite a while; though I prefer the sound, fit, and durability of my $32 Blon BL-03 more.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 12
In my short opinion, RE-400 for $22 is definitely a good deal, I had them for quite a while; though I prefer the sound, fit, and durability of my $32 Blon BL-03 more.

Well, and that’s the value of these threads, when we hear about value in relation to history.

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 12
I was reserved about posting anything. But it has just been this funny process to where the RE0 kept coming-up in my memory.......then I go on Head-Fi and see this thread! I’m not even an expert in all the sub $60 range of Chinese IEMs. A bunch of my IEM purchases have been in the $200 range, so....I all of a sudden learn about how these seemingly great advances are maybe special. But also I mean.....the HiFiMan sound in the regards to bass, may not be my thing? I enjoyed the RE0 back in the day regardless of the bass, just due to how well the upper end was done, and I’m guess the RE-400 may be similar. Of course many could trash the TC-01 due to it not being their style, and hold the RE-400 still as top in class and the ultimate bargain for the price you can get them for today.

Cheers!

RE-400 is actually a warmer headphone compared to the RE-0 (this is from memory). So you will get more bass from it. I remember describing it as warm over neutral, kind of similar to the Harman Target (this was before the Harman Target was a thing). I still have my RE-400 somewhere (and like 2 or 3 RE-600, they kept giving those away with purchases as of recent :p). My original RE-0 broke, then I got the Drop RE-00 which was sounded very similar to the RE-0 (again, from memory since I didn't have an RE-0 to actually compare with). I don't remember what happened to the RE-00, it was super cheap though (35 bucks shipped).

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 12
RE-400 is actually a warmer headphone compared to the RE-0 (this is from memory). So you will get more bass from it. I remember describing it as warm over neutral, kind of similar to the Harman Target (this was before the Harman Target was a thing). I still have my RE-400 somewhere (and like 2 or 3 RE-600, they kept giving those away with purchases as of recent :p). My original RE-0 broke, then I got the Drop RE-00 which was sounded very similar to the RE-0 (again, from memory since I didn't have an RE-0 to actually compare with). I don't remember what happened to the RE-00, it was super cheap though (35 bucks shipped).

The line will always remain talked about maybe due to being a first for many of us? The DAPs they introduced at that time were very wild and new as far as a concept. Everyone had IPods and then there was this introduction of something that could offer both more power and better sound. Strange as many who were not on Head-Fi may not remember those days and how the very first good DAPs were looked at as a whole new concept. I never purchased one of those early DAPs but you can be sure it was stuff I studied endlessly. Great times.

The HiFiMan HM-801, the first modern day DAP, released in 2010.

5A40A02B-2C6E-4135-B579-E283C0975263.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back