Is the HifiMan HE-6SE an upgrade over an HE-K V1?
Jan 16, 2022 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gatorengineer

New Head-Fier
As an HE-K V1 owner wondering how much of an upgrade the HE-6SE would be if at all. I listen to all kinds of music, and a headphone that doesnt color the sound is ideal, I am looking for less leakage as well. From what I have read many prefer the 6SE over the Arya for Technical performance.

Looking for input Thanks in advance.

If this isnt an decent upgrade, what under say 2k would be....?

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 15
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 15
HEK v1 is more transparent, has a better soundstage.

SE v2 has a good amount of bass impact. Its technical but in a more concrete way - mashed potatoes and sirloin. The HEK is more Champaign and caviar.

They both need EQ. The 6se needs pads and cable. Older HEK may need new pads.

With both there isn't much music you can't cover. I think 6 SE v2. Is too good a value not to get.

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 15
If you can’t get the HEKse, get the Arya. Had the 6se and never really liked it. This is all personal preference albeit from a very good chain and your ears might certainly hear differently.

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 15
Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but what would be wallet reasonable upgrade from HE-6SE, anything that does not require EQ and has more premium build quality?

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 15
^If you dig the sound signature of the HE-6se but want a more premium build, you should probably look around for one of the older HE6s providing you want to stay in the Hifiman family (they do sound pretty much the same though).
The Arya and HEKse are also contenders with about the same type of bright tuning as the HE6se. If you want a dynamic counterpart, I’d go with the HD800S.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 15
Engagement factor for music enjoyment is better with HE6se than HE1000 v2, I have both, HE6se is just more direct and have a better tuning.

HE6se v1 is now 699$ direct from Hifiman.
Replace default pali pads with Dekoni velour pads, they fix the dip and peak around 2kHz.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 15
^If you dig the sound signature of the HE-6se but want a more premium build, you should probably look around for one of the older HE6s providing you want to stay in the Hifiman family (they do sound pretty much the same though).
The Arya and HEKse are also contenders with about the same type of bright tuning as the HE6se. If you want a dynamic counterpart, I’d go with the HD800S.
You mean HE-6se v1, what is better build wise there, non swiveling headband?
And I already have HD800 (SDR mod), much prefer HE-6SE v2 over them.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 15
I actually meant the original HE6 with the old screw-on connectors, but sure I also prefer the Sundara-like headband to the new one.
I am sensing that you feel the exact opposite though:)

Edith: then again some times upgrading from something can be quite difficult. I spent more than 5 years trying to upgrade my HD600 - even replaced it with a Utopia at one point..yet upgraded back to the 600 again after a long a/b listening test. Personally I prefer the more realistic and smooth sound quality of the Sennheiser and could do without the treble peak of the Focal…but I still some times lust for the premium looks.
Likewise the Sundara is my favourite Hifiman can just slightly over the HE500. I have been trying to upgrade from the Sundara quite a few times - trying to get that little bit of extra midrange realism or indeed trying out those wonderful eggshaped cups…but I always end up with the Sundara. Sold off my old HE1000 v2 because of it.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 15
I completely agree with the previous posts, I far prefer Sundara or Fidelio X2 over HE1000 v2 and HD800s (but I agree the later are technically impressive).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 15
If you can’t get the HEKse, get the Arya. Had the 6se and never really liked it. This is all personal preference albeit from a very good chain and your ears might certainly hear differently.
SE v1 or v2? I've got a nice chain and to me the v1 is a bit better. v2 moreso.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Used HE-6 are more than 6 years old minimum. The HE-6 unmoded is more fatiging to me than either 6se, but the bass is of course legendary. I find Kse much brighter than 6se. Arya 1 also seems brighter but not hugely so.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back