Is the HE-500 for me? Or something else?
Aug 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

theofeau

New Head-Fier
Here is what I currently own and my impressions of each:

Grado-SR60i - I love these but get frustrated with how bright and forward they are. I'm really sensitive to treble and therefore can only end up enjoying them at lower volumes. In addition, there are number of features of the sound I am looking for that I feel they are lacking -- soundstage, solid bass, etc -- but that shouldn't a surprising observation at all, considering the price.

HiFiMan HE-400 (running through Schiit Magni/Modi) - I wanted to love these. These were the cans I determined I would love based on reading way too many reviews. And for about half of my music, these deliver the best sound I have ever heard. Unfortunately, the coloration doesn't work with the other half of my music, notably lots of female vocalists (I listen to a lot of k-pop and j-pop and sibiliance becomes a huge problem for these cans, not to mention the general scooped out feeling of the vocals). EQ'ing helps, but it doesn't do enough to satisfy.

Sennheiser HD600 (also with Schiit Magni/Modi) -- After the HE-400's, the neutrality and naturalness of these floored me. Overall, I've been quite satisfied. BUT, they don't give me that oh-my-god-I-can't-believe-this-sounds-so-good feeling that the HE-400's do for some recordings. I believe this comes down to superior detail, clarity, and soundstage, as well as their phenomenal bass.

I've read that the HE-500 are much more neutral while only giving up a little of the base of the HE-400's. I'm considering selling both the He-400 and the HD600 and picking up a pair of those instead. Do you think they would bridge the gap? Or is there anything else I should be looking at? (I have a soft cap at $500, so I can let the HE-500's slide, but am not willing to consider Audeze, as much it is sounds like I might love them.)

Thanks for your thoughts! This is my first post at head-fi, although I've been lurking for a while. I'm glad to be here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back