Is the HD555 right for me?
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheNew007

Banned
The left earpiece on my koss ksc75 broke last night and I have been thinking of upgrading my headset for a long time.

Things that I do with my headphones
-watch ripped movies
-listen to mp3s at home
-play games

My current source is my laptop (hp 8510p) but I am considering purchasing a USB DAC and building a cmoy amp in the near future.

I enjoyed the koss ksc75 for a long time but I have no idea if I liked the sound since I had nothing to compare it to.

My local dealer in vancouver sells the HD555 for $140 + tax and I was wondering whether I should get these or another ksc75 or perhaps sennheiser px100

and also, feel free to suggest any DAC for my notebook

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 14
The HD555's are OK for movies I guess, but depending on what sort of music you listen to they may not be your type of HPs. But they definitely do not do very well for games (imo)... For that I'd recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-A700/900, which do great with movies, music (most genres) and even gaming.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 14
I use the HD555 for gaming and it does very good. I don't have anything to compare them too but I love them. Watching movies with the Dolby Headphone plugin is amazing, really sounds like you are surrounded by 5 speakers.
Newegg.com has the HD555 for $89.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 14
thanks for all the informative posts

I'm not sure which exact genre i like to listen to but following are my favorite songs:
american pie - don mcean
anything by the beatles
life is beautiful - sixx am
all i want is you - barry palisar
benny and the jets- elton john

as a side question, can anyone tell me what genre those songs are?

MrKazador, I wish I could get those prices but unfortunately I live in vancouver and the shipping costs would are quite expensive

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 14
ordering the Hd55s will definitely be cheaper then buying them from a store around here. Alot cheaper.

Lots of guys use Hd555s for gaming, though i cannont speak for them personally.

Rank your prioritys, they wont be the best for music.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MrKazador, I wish I could get those prices but unfortunately I live in vancouver and the shipping costs would are quite expensive

Prices here suck indeed. The cheapest I've seen is $129.99 or $139.99 at NCIX

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

but I am considering purchasing a USB DAC and building a cmoy amp in the near future......

....... HD555 for $140 + tax and I was wondering whether I should get these or another ksc75 or perhaps sennheiser px100

Why not consider a Corda 2Move for the combined DAC and amp duties?

Also, I would suggest the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 over the HD555. I bought the AD900's after trialling both them and the 700 - even though the 700 were pretty close. But I've listened to my neighbour's HD555 and the AD900 is FAR superior.

Soundstage from the AD700 is as good as you will get for the money, so they are great for games. They are very good for pretty much every sort of music, except *doof*doof* bass.

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 14
I had 515, 555 and 595, and nether is good for gaming and movies. For that you need a little more bass and they don't provide it ( hd555 have really strange bass distortion at little higher volume, and without eq ). Sound stage is ok, but overall i think you could find better headphones, especially for that money. My recommendations are hfi-780 (heard them from my friend, and they really rock with movies and games, although you can find them a little harsh ) sony altus are not bad and they don't cost much, and you could try audio technica ad900 if price is ok. Can't recommend any DAC, since I'm newbie in that area.

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 14
I have the HD555. I prefer my AKG 240S as the AKGs are much more detailed IMO.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

also, which version is better? open or closed

Unless you specifically need isolation, or louder (but muddier) bass, then the open models will always be better IMHO.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

which version is better? open or closed

I think for your needs, open version is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back