Is the HD 650 still the best option for ~400 USD? (Also need help with amp)
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

luiztfc

Head-Fier
Hi!

A bit of backstory first. I've always wanted to buy a HD 650, but never could afford one, so I settled with a  Beyer DT 770 80 (which I already sold). At the moment, I'm rocking a HD 598 and I'm using the Realtek ALC889 codec that is in my motherboard.

Also, please keep in mind that I can't try headphones in my country (Brazil), so I can't see for myself the differences between cans.

But now I have a bit of cash to buy a nice headphone and a good amp as well. I like to listen to rock, jazz and sometimes classical music. I've always felt like the rich and warm sound of the HD 650 would be perfect for me. But I wonder if there aren't better options at 400 USD range? Also, do you guys feel there's a big difference between the HD 650 and the HiFiMan - HE-500? I know it's a planar magnetic headphone and very different, but my "budget" is a bit loose and Amazon has it at 600 USD.

And what amp would you recommend? Is a 400 USD budget good? 

I've always heard that Realtek ALC889  is a good code and sinceI'll be using my pc as my source for a while, I wonder if I should buy a DAC as well.

Thank you very much!

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 6
The AKG K712 Pro is also a good consideration. The HE-400i might be considered in the place of the 500 as well. Perhaps the Shure SRH 1840 or the Audeze EL8 that will be released soon. Maybe the HD700.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey!

If you are looking for a warm and darkish presentation, I think you can't go wrong with HD650.

You should also consider Philips Fidelio X2.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

A small USB DAC/Amp like Fiio E10k would be a nice addition to your rig.

Best Luck!

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 6
  A bit of backstory first. I've always wanted to buy a HD 650, but never could afford one, so I settled with a  Beyer DT 770 80 (which I already sold). At the moment, I'm rocking a HD 598 and I'm using the Realtek ALC889 codec that is in my motherboard.
Also, please keep in mind that I can't try headphones in my country (Brazil), so I can't see for myself the differences between cans.
But now I have a bit of cash to buy a nice headphone and a good amp as well. I like to listen to rock, jazz and sometimes classical music. I've always felt like the rich and warm sound of the HD 650 would be perfect for me. But I wonder if there aren't better options at 400 USD range? Also, do you guys feel there's a big difference between the HD 650 and the HiFiMan - HE-500? I know it's a planar magnetic headphone and very different, but my "budget" is a bit loose and Amazon has it at 600 USD.
And what amp would you recommend? Is a 400 USD budget good? 
I've always heard that Realtek ALC889  is a good code and sinceI'll be using my pc as my source for a while, I wonder if I should buy a DAC as well.

Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, $270+shipping ($45?).
Will drive just about any headphone you would buy (and should improve the audio quality of your current HD598).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you guys very much for the answers! This hobby is such a rabbit hole! The more I research, the more I increase my budget... And now I'm almost pulling the trigger on a Audeze LCD-2, I'm just waiting for more info about the EL8 (Thanks ToddTheMetalGod for the tip).

Decisions, decisions...

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 6
If I were you I think I would give the He-400i a real close look. Pick up an Asgard 2 and a Modi 2. You would have a pretty nice setup for not a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back