Is the HA-2 too much in this situation?
Aug 22, 2003 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
Going off to college will be a great time except for the fact that I will be pretty damn poor. Meaning that my setup will have to be the most value oriented system that I can possibly get while at the same time considering upgrading possiblities. Soon I will be getting the M-Audio Revo (anyone know where I can pick one up in a store so I don't have to order it?) and I would like to get an amp to use with it. Currently I have the ER-4P which I use as my main cans. I will be getting the adapter cable soon as well. And this should leave enough money left for a nice amp and hopefully some HD-650s and aftermarket cables when they go on sale. The amp I was thinking of getting was the HA-2. It seems to have a good reputation and should be able to go well with a better source when I upgrade someday. In the near future I will probably end up getting an external DAC, most likely the Art DI/O to use with the Revo.

My main issue is whether or not the HA-2 is overkill to use strictly with the Revo. Im not exactly sure when I will scrounge (sp?) up the dough to get the Art so I want to know if the HA-2 and the Revo alone will work decently together. Or is the Revo not a good enough source to make this combo really work together. I was originally thinking of getting the PreHead due to the August sale but then I realized that I definately can't afford that. So do you think the HA-2 will fit the bill or will it be overkill? Thanks.

Hiker

P.S. I will be using CD/Wave or other lossless compression on the computer and probably high quality Mp3 playback very rarely.

Aug 22, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm at college right now, and it is difficult, because I arrived with limited funds. I do not want to spend on anything but the essentials right now. As soon as I get a job though, that's gonna change somewhat.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 7
What about other Revo users out there. If you think the HA-2 is overkill, what do you think would pair well with it? Or rather, what do you use with it?

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 7
I think the HA-2 may be a poor match for the Revo. Also - the digital out from the Revo isn't amazing (compared to other cards like the audiophile 24/96). The HA-2 has never been described as dark, and the Revo is somewhat bright - I think the combination may be a bit much.

-dd3mon

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Also - the digital out from the Revo isn't amazing (compared to other cards like the audiophile 24/96).

Really? From what I've heard in threads is that the digital outs of the Revo and Audiophile are pretty close. I thought the major difference was in the analog outs. Am I getting this wrong?

Aug 25, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
Really? From what I've heard in threads is that the digital outs of the Revo and Audiophile are pretty close. I thought the major difference was in the analog outs. Am I getting this wrong?

The few who have compared them both side by side have preferred the Revo's analog section to the Audiophile's analog section, but the Audiophile's digital out seems better than the Revo's. There have only been a couple people who have made this comparison though - search in the source forum.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back