Is the Focal Elex as good as the reviews say? (for classic rock)
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PabloSRT8

Head-Fier
I had Grado 325 and liked them, then I went to Grado RS1e and liked them even better.
But when I bought my Fostex TH900mk2, I felt like I found the one! (but had to sell them because I needed the money) and purchased HiFiMan 400i (which i could care less about)

Now I have Fostex Purplehearts because I was told that if my favorite headphones were the 900, I should get those.
To tell the truth, I really don't like them; too much bass and not as clean.

Now I see these Focal Elex, would I like them better than the purpleheart? Would they sound as good as the 900mk2?

I listen to mostly classic rock, specially Pink Floyd.
I'm will be using an Oppo HA-1 as pre amp.

Thank you!!

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Ive owned the 900mk2, qnd my friend recently got the focal elex from MD.

I personally, dont like them. I think the 900mk2 are better sonically. That being said, the only thing i liked on the focal elex was the pads, very nice pads.

Get your 900mk2s back, trust me.

Ps: ive heard the focal elegia, elear, elex and clear pro. And for me personally i prefer the focal clear pro sound more than elex. Ive never heard the utopias and i dont think any store i usually go to for audio gear has that specific model.(special order)

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the replay.
No I see they have a green (supposedly sounds like the original red) and a blue one that sounds different. I see the green one go on sale sometimes for 899. Have you heard anything of the other two?
Also, why did you sale your 900? Did you get something that sounds better?
Thank you!!

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for the replay.
No I see they have a green (supposedly sounds like the original red) and a blue one that sounds different. I see the green one go on sale sometimes for 899. Have you heard anything of the other two?
Also, why did you sale your 900? Did you get something that sounds better?
Thank you!!
Ive seen the green one online for sale on moon audio. As for the blue one ive never seen until you mentioned it. I havent heard either of thoes so i cant tell lol.
I sold them because at the time they weren't as comfortable as i would of liked, also they were quite expensive and i needed money. But primarily because i wanted to try something different. I sold the amp i got specifically for them (violectric) and banked the money. Now that i have the money i ordered myself an RME ADI-2 DAC, and although it doesnt have a balanced headphone plug im very excited to try it. Eventually ill get my th900mk2s back when they drop in price or if i get more money again. I do miss them sometimes (sound, not entirely the comfort lol)

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 5
I had Grado 325 and liked them, then I went to Grado RS1e and liked them even better.
But when I bought my Fostex TH900mk2, I felt like I found the one! (but had to sell them because I needed the money) and purchased HiFiMan 400i (which i could care less about)

Now I have Fostex Purplehearts because I was told that if my favorite headphones were the 900, I should get those.
To tell the truth, I really don't like them; too much bass and not as clean.

Now I see these Focal Elex, would I like them better than the purpleheart? Would they sound as good as the 900mk2?

I listen to mostly classic rock, specially Pink Floyd.
I'm will be using an Oppo HA-1 as pre amp.

Thank you!!

Your OPPO + The (Drop) Elex would be a great combo.

The Elex is nothing like the Focal House sound.
Its my Favorite Focal.
It does not have any exaggerated Freq, and it's full, balanced, and the most naturally tuned Headphone sound that Focal has ever created.
Focal tends to pump up the energy and a bit of brightness as their Trademark Headphone sound.
The Elex does not sound like that at all, and i'd say they decided to make a perfect HD600 as their reason for the Elex to exist.

INside the Elex's sound you find Reference Quality, meets Natural Tonality, meets, wide soundstage meets perfect warmth and FR.
They posses a speaker like dimensional sound.
That you can purchase this set of headphones from Drop, for less then half of the Cost of their Clear's, is a reason to celebrate.
The Drop version of the Elex is a GEM of a Sound.
This is one of those rare headphones that can serve as a Mix and Mastering Gear, and also a top notch Audiophile listening experience.
Its one of those headphones that you can use as your baseline listening experience to rate all other Headphones you own or will ever purchase.
If you are a new Audiophile and you want to know how Audiophile headphones are meant to sound, then look no farther then the Focal (Drop) Elex.
Its a great and affordable Gear.

Other highlights : Low Volume sounds very good. Easy to Drive...Nice Box... Comfy on Head....Zero ear fatigue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back