Is the FLAC format "outdated"?
Jun 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #16 of 24
You might have one that works, but you can get a Sansa Clip for so short money that spending hours converting your stuff might not be worth it. 

I use Media Monkey (and I'm sure other players can do this too). No effort. You can setup a sync profile so that it automatically rips to mp3 from flac. Sure, it would take a while the first, but you don't need to babysit. Just leave it running. :)

I can also heartily recommend the Sansa Clips. You can usually catch one for $30. For instance, http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Full-Color-MicroSDHC-Stopwatch--SDMX22-004G-A57R/dp/B005FVNGRI/

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #20 of 24
FLAC is now extremely popular and it has no relevant technical limitations, so it's clearly not outdated.

Other lossless codecs such as Monkey Audio (.ape files) or Wavpack (.wv) could rather be called outdated, even though they have advantages over FLAC (a bit smaller file size), because there is hardly any hardware support for them.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #23 of 24
Are you sure flac is popular? It's not even available on iTunes (the most popular digital store) and even in streaming services like spotify.
It's more expensive than mp3, takes a lot of space especially on a portable players.

It's the most popular lossless codec.

I'm sure lossy compression will be abandonned in a couple of years, because download speed and storage space are no longer an issue, at least for home use.

The main reason why download stores stick to MP3 is not the file size, but the fact that MP3 is the only codec that every hardware player supports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back