Is the Fiio E9/E17 combo best for me?
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

elderain

New Head-Fier

I've been looking to make my first hop into world of "not so terrible" audio. I believe I've got my self pointed down the right path and I'm looking for a sort of multi-purpose setup. I was looking at the E17, paired with an E9.

I will primarily be listening via my home PC where I would leave the E9. The E17 could come with my to work to use either with my iPod, or work laptop. I was trying to figure out how using a pair of self amplified speakers would work with this combo (M-Audio AV40's, these are always connected to my desktop). It looks like the E9 has a pre-out 3.5mm jack which I think would work for this purpose. Am I right in thinking that I wouldn't want to "double amp" the desktop speakers? Is "double amp" the right term? I'm a noob.

Is there a better setup that would work for me? This seemed like it would let me leave most of the home setup in tact, just dock the E17 when I get back home and everything is back in place. I don't have a strict budget, but staying under $250 would make me happy and I think this is about on par.

I'm pretty sure someone will me what my listening apparatus is, and I don't have it yet (Outside of the M-Audio AV40's which are kind of irrelevant outside of the question of how to work them in the mix). I'm looking at a few things currently: ATH-CK10, FA DBA-02, UE 10's for my IEM side. I'm also down the road looking to purchase a decent set of closed cans. My eyes have been set on DT770's.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 2
I also would like some advice on the E17, E9 combo.   I recently picked up both and I was hoping to use them with both my PC setup and my MacBook/iPhone.   I guess before purchasing, I should have researched more to realize that the E17 Dac does not override idevices. 

So I'm also wondering what the optimum setup will be  (I'll also contact FiiO for recommendations) and what headphones would be ideal for the amp setup.  

skc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back