Is the fiio e17 DAC only for desktops?
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

frozenmango

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I just purhcased the fiio e17 dac and amp. I was wondering if I can use the DAC feature with my galaxy S4 or is it only for USB powered devices?  I am looking to connect the 3.5mm to 3.5mm from the e17 to the s4 audio jack, and then connect my headphones to the e17. Will both the AMP and DAC work or will it only be used for USB powered devices like my desktop? :/

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 19
if you connect your phone to the e17 with the phone's audio Jack you will be sending an analog signal to the e17 and it will only act as a headphone amp.  If you use a usb out on the phone with an OTG cable you can connect it to the e17 through the usb input and use the fiio as both a DAC and amp.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
if you connect your phone to the e17 with the phone's audio Jack you will be sending an analog signal to the e17 and it will only act as a headphone amp.  If you use a usb out on the phone with an OTG cable you can connect it to the e17 through the usb input and use the fiio as both a DAC and amp.  

Gahhh thanks! :)

B&H lied and told me what my setup is would be fine to use both the amp and a dac. Do you mind linking me to a an OTG cable for the USB please? :x

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 19
yep you would be able to just use that one wire with no adapters If you wanted to you would have to get a male micro to female usb and connect that to a male to male usb to mini adapter (which for some reason there are NONE of on eBay other than one for $999 dollars) lol

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
yep you would be able to just use that one wire with no adapters If you wanted to you would have to get a male micro to female usb and connect that to a male to male usb to mini adapter (which for some reason there are NONE of on eBay other than one for $999 dollars) lol

Well dang, lol.

Thanks for your help! I really hope the DAC and AMP makes my sounding experience a lot better. I currently have the Deadmau5 sol republic track hd, you know anything about those or if it will work good with the e17?

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Hey man,

I got that cable today, hooked it up from the fiio to  my s4, but no sound is playing. Yes, I tried changing the input to USB. But it's weird.. Is there a specific feature I have to enable in android?

Just really confused lol.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Hey man,

I got that cable today, hooked it up from the fiio to  my s4, but no sound is playing. Yes, I tried changing the input to USB. But it's weird.. Is there a specific feature I have to enable in android?

Just really confused lol.

On your phone did you enable USB audio on your gs4?
edit: I've never owned the gs4 but on my s3 as soon as I connect my e7 (and it's powered on) the notification bar says usb device connected.
I know other people have used the s4 and e17 together.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 19
I used my S3 with OTG adapter for a while with the E17 on USB mode. It was nice. Just make sure that your adapter wasn't made poorly... Mine was 
size]

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
On your phone did you enable USB audio on your gs4?
edit: I've never owned the gs4 but on my s3 as soon as I connect my e7 (and it's powered on) the notification bar says usb device connected.
I know other people have used the s4 and e17 together.

Yea see I can't find anywhere on how to enable USB audio on the phone :/

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 19
Are you rooted? You must have root with a Custom Kernel that allows OTG adapter. Rooting isn't that difficult, just is a little different. Without a kernel that allows OTG adapter support, you can't do it. 
size]

Edit: On the S3 you could do this stock, but now I think Samsung has decided to not allow this anymore.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Are you rooted? You must have root with a Custom Kernel that allows OTG adapter. Rooting isn't that difficult, just is a little different. Without a kernel that allows OTG adapter support, you can't do it. 
size]

Edit: On the S3 you could do this stock, but now I think Samsung has decided to not allow this anymore.

Yea, I am rooted. Is there a specific app to do this? I am never comfortable with putting ROMS or custom kernals. Rooting is how far I take it :)

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 19
Try using StickMount by Chainfire on the Play Store. The free one should do just fine. If this doesn't work then let me know, you may need a custom kernal, which I can help you with.  All you need to do is give Super SU permission for the app. Then, plug in your OTG adapter with the mini usb cable into the fiio. Finally select (Mount). Should work, just try playing audio.

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Try using StickMount by Chainfire on the Play Store. The free one should do just fine. If this doesn't work then let me know, you may need a custom kernal, which I can help you with.  All you need to do is give Super SU permission for the app. Then, plug in your OTG adapter with the mini usb cable into the fiio. Finally select (Mount). Should work, just try playing audio.

Yea, I hit mount and it says active mounts: none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back