Is the Emu 0404 USB reliable?
May 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

miscend

New Head-Fier
Just recently bought a refurb one but it had several issues and the audio inputs were all dodgy (broken). So I took it back. But I really really liked the sound quality of it. So I'm wondering whether I should take the risk of another 0404. Or try something else like the Echo Fire, the Saffire 6 or the Tascam US122.

I'm really looking for something with as good converters (both AD and DA) and within the same class. USB or Firewire. Any suggestions?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

The 0404 USB is good as long are you buy it from a respectable reseller so the warranty is in place. I use it mainly for analog output with disregard for S/PDIF input and output, and MIDI. But remember, you are looking at pro audio gear so it would be best to buy gear best suited for your needs (mixer, mic, studio monitors, instrument, etc...).

If you are looking at FireWire audio interface, I would warn you that pops and clicks may occur depending on your 1394 controller.

However, I chose the 0404 USB because it's cheaper than the AudioFire 4. I would choose the 0404 USB again because it's probably what you intended on purchasing in the first place. I don't think any other manufacturer can sway you to buy their product, yet.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 3
I haven't had any trouble with mine, which I bought 'slightly used' on ebay a while back.  Do the inputs on yours just need to be re-soldered or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back