Is the EMU 0404 USB & HD 580 good?
Mar 2, 2007 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

noobie72

100+ Head-Fier
Is the amp in the EMU 0404 USB enough to power the Senn HD 580 adequately? I would like to get the 580s to compliment my main phones (MS2i). All the posts I read have the EMU combined with an amp with these headphones. Will an external amp provide a noticeable improvement over just the EMU?

Thanks.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Have not tried external amps, but EMU sounds very good paired with 580s (and with A900LTDs, for that matter). If I do buy an amp, it'll be GS-1 level--I am not sure "lesser" amps will provide an improvement worth the $$.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the info. Is there a big difference in dynamics between the computer's soundcard and the EMU? If so, what differences do you notice the most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have not tried external amps, but EMU sounds very good paired with 580s (and with A900LTDs, for that matter). If I do buy an amp, it'll be GS-1 level--I am not sure "lesser" amps will provide an improvement worth the $$.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 8
I just noticed you're using an Onkyo TX-8011 receiver. Wouldn't the receiver provide additional power to the headphones? My source would be:

Gateway 7405 laptop > Foobar 2K > EMU 0404 USB > Alessandro MS2i/Senn HD 580

Quote:

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 8
I only played 580s out of x-fi i/o panel and my receiver's hp jack. X-fi's tone is not as natural, and receiver gives a lot of hiss. To be honest, I didn't listen to them long enough out of those sources to arrive at any conclusion regarding dynamics, bass control, etc. Also, E-MUs DAC provides a bit more detail than x-fi's. I would say the built-in amp does a pretty good job of conveying that detail. It's class A and has pretty good specs, like over 100 dB signal to noise (that was most likely measured on a dummy load, not real headphones, though). It's "only" 20 mW per channel, which I find plenty enough--with master volume on max, I never need to go beyond 10 o'clock on the headphone amp. If you listen very loudly and have inefficient headphones, like AKG K501, you may find that the amp lacks power, but I don't think anyone would complain when using HD 580.

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 8
OK, I'll have to look out for the 580s on the For Sale forum. Thanks again for the information.

Quote:

I only played 580s out of x-fi i/o panel and my receiver's hp jack. X-fi's tone is not as natural, and receiver gives a lot of hiss. To be honest, I didn't listen to them long enough out of those sources to arrive at any conclusion regarding dynamics, bass control, etc. Also, E-MUs DAC provides a bit more detail than x-fi's. I would say the built-in amp does a pretty good job of conveying that detail. It's class A and has pretty good specs, like over 100 dB signal to noise (that was most likely measured on a dummy load, not real headphones, though). It's "only" 20 mW per channel, which I find plenty enough--with master volume on max, I never need to go beyond 10 o'clock on the headphone amp. If you listen very loudly and have inefficient headphones, like AKG K501, you may find that the amp lacks power, but I don't think anyone would complain when using HD 580.

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 8
If anyone asked me how to get a taste of truly high end audio for the least cost, I would recommend the HD580/0404 USB combination without hesitation. It might not play as loudly as some might like, but I don't know of any other better $300-ish expenditure in audio.

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 8
I like the Grado sound signature, that's why I have the MS2is. I was thinking that the 580s would compliment them nicely because the sound signatures are so different.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone asked me how to get a taste of truly high end audio for the least cost, I would recommend the HD580/0404 USB combination without hesitation. It might not play as loudly as some might like, but I don't know of any other better $300-ish expenditure in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back