Is the economy affecting your sound?
Mar 13, 2009 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
I am rather curious whether or not audiophile headphone devisions suffer losses during recessions like the current.

Certainly a way to find out.. is to ask their prime source of income.

So..., is it?

EDIT: I could've sworn I made this in the lounge.
I guess the poll gets rid of my ability to delete it..

Can someone move it for me? Thanks

BTW: I voted option 2 (No, I'm stable.)
I'm relatively stable in this economy. I also have found that headphone purchases have great resale value... and so investment in headphones can be pretty easily regained (Especially when the economy gets better).

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 25
I'm sure they do - when people are in an uncertain spot, I'm sure $1000 headphones aren't their priority.

That said, I'm in a stable employment situation, so for me everything has just gotten cheaper over the last few months, especially with folks selling off their equipment.

Heartless, but true
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 25
actually it has gotten better..have 5 headphones, 4 amplifiers, 3DACs as against 2 headphones, 1 amplifiers, 1 DAC 3 months back.
Not to mention I have parts for 2 more amplifiers (a B22 included) and boards for 3 more.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 25
I'm concerned for the futures so haven't bought some things I otherwise would have, even though the economy crisis hasn't really affected me yet.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 25
I voted other. I have an uncertain future regarding employment, but some cash/headfi gear, enough to sell and trade up a bit. so i have been selling and upgrading without hurting the bank too much.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 25
I voted yes, but its just a matter of priorities and things that have to be taken care of. I am still saving for upgrades but nowadays its a slower process, especially when nobody wants to buy your old stuff.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 25
I voted no, I'm stable in this economy.

Plus if you scour the FS forums and wait for good deals to pop up you can get quite a lot of great lightly used equipment on the cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 25
The economy is definitely impacting my gear purchases. I do pro mix work and usually set some of the money I make off to the side and save for purchases, and lately I've been getting less work (some of my regular clients have actually asked me to set them up on a payment schedule) and I've noticed almost everything I'm saving up for has gone up in price (sign that these smaller gear companies aren't doing too good themselves).

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 25
Equipment in Canada is relatively expensive, but even more so when the conversion from USD to CAD is like 1:0.8. Regardless, I still bought my Denon AH-D1001K's retail here for $180 CAD. I figured that instead of saving a few bucks ordering from the US, I'd just buy from retail to help out my economy. Yeah, I lost some money, but these headphones are worth it!

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 25
Well, my answer is somehow contradictory: this year I had planned to buy a new preamp, a new hifi rack, and some more objects for my stereo -I mean "the-one-with-the-speakers", but I preferred to wait and see how it ends, renouncing to all of this.

As a compensation, I bought a pair a dynamic HP, a Stax system (used, entry level) and I'm planning of buying an iBasso: altogether i will anyway spend much much less than I planned and I'll have renewed listening fun all the same ! :)

ciao
daniele

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 25
Actually its gotten a bit better, as some people are selling off equipment at really good prices, so I've had a chance to expand a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back