Is the difference between MP3/4 and FLAC exaggerated, or am I just missing something?
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
I finally got around to downloading my first FLAC files today, and I was doing a comparison between the FLAC and MP4 versions of the same songs (The Great Gig in the Sky and Brain Damage by Pink Floyd at 192kbps vs. 1014 kbps, and Empire Ants and On Melancholy Hill by Gorillaz at 160kbps vs. 1014kbps) through my computer (no idea what audio card or w/e it has) through my FiiO E6 and both my Shure SRH-840 and my Koss Pro DJ100 (I did several runs through each song using both pairs of headphones), but the differences I was hearing were so minor that I started to wonder if I was imagining them. So my question is as the title states: Do people just grossly exaggerate the difference in quality between FLAC and MP3/4, or am I just not hearing what everyone else hears for some reason?

And btw, I play saxophone (going on 6 years) and piano (11 or 12 years), so I'd think I should be able to recognize differences in sound by now...

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Overly exaggerated, don't sweat it dude.
wink.gif

And this is coming from someone who can successfully ABX them, sometimes, depending on the song.
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 5
ABX?

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Oh, yeah now that I think of I have heard that term before; my mind just blanked for a second. I don't think I'd be able to do that at all; it was hard enough picking out differences when I knew exactly what I was listening to. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back