Is the Cowon S9 for me?
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big AMOLED screen FTW.

No SD slot FTL...gonna order 32GBer tonight or tomorrow.

Enjoy! It is a great little player.
Also you can find lots of support over at iaudiophile.net and the forums at anythingbutipod.com

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #17 of 30
Why bounded to some models? Sony X, HIFIMAN and AMP3 can be worth to consider. The key is before your make your decition, you must realize what you are really need or what's your priority.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #18 of 30
HIFIMAN and AMP3 don't do video. The Sony X1000 Series sounds fantastic, but video is spotty at best. The best all around performer of those mentioned is the S9.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by newfier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why bounded to some models? Sony X, HIFIMAN and AMP3 can be worth to consider. The key is before your make your decition, you must realize what you are really need or what's your priority.

Well, I'd buy the Sony X1000 series, if it didn't cost me over 500 dollars (It costs 499 at a local SonyStore around my area. Unfortunately, it's the only store that sells it in Canada =/)

And HIFIMAN and AMP3 cannot do videos. Not to mention, they're strictly for Audio purposes only. Even then, they lack gapless.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #20 of 30
In favor of the S9 (again), it does do gapless. So, another point for the Cowon S9!!!!
atsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'd buy the Sony X1000 series, if it didn't cost me over 500 dollars (It costs 499 at a local SonyStore around my area. Unfortunately, it's the only store that sells it in Canada =/)

And HIFIMAN and AMP3 cannot do videos. Not to mention, they're strictly for Audio purposes only. Even then, they lack gapless.

I don't quite get that. Both those player get continual praise on these forums for their SQ but they don't do gapless. Not having gapless ruins the experience of listening to a gapless album. In my view, that negates any claims to having high-end SQ.

Am really glad Cowon finally gave the S9 gapless playback. I was about to get rid of mine when they did the firmware upgrade.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 30
Recently got mine[32GB], wow it is superb...had i5, D2 & O2, so a bad UI?

Like how the firmware is actually doing stuff. Go to Cowons site & locate the EQ thread there...to match up your tastes/cans.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 30
what i dont really get about the s9 is its hard keys layout (volume, play button, etc)
The headphone jack is at the bottom of the player, while those buttons are at the top, so if you have the player in ur jeans pocket it will obviously be the jack end facing the pocket opening. So that means if you want to adjust volume/pause/track skip you have to reach all the way into the pocket to do take those actions...

what are s9 owners' experience with this? i'm really curious

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #25 of 30
The Samsung p3 and the Cowon S9 are the only 2 mp3 players you should ever look at. If you want an internet device, get something else. Both of these crush the Ipods and Zunes like no tomorrow. Both are still better than the Zune HD. The only improvement on the Zune is the wireless internet.

The cowon s9 has an INCREDIBLE EQ. I mean it. It's got such an amazing custom EQ, I am not sure what to say about it except Why the HELL other mp3 players dont have it is beyond my rational thinking power. You get like 10 band EQ all together. Thats more than Windows Media Player. You get bass boost, and surround sound mimic. The EQ on the s9 is better than anything you can get with Windows Media player or Itunes.

The p3 doesnt have the extensive EQ as the s9 does, but its still better than the zune and the ipods combined. The Cowon s9 has 60 hour audio battery life!!!! and 9-11 hours of video. Downside to both is no wireless net connection. Both are cheaper than the ipods and zunes :p

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 30
It's all a matter of taste I suppose, but the P3 left me decidely unimpressed. The S9 however, is excellent; providing you stick a custom ui on it. The stock interface is truly horrible

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 30
^Yeah, I am surprised the S9s UI is regarded as lacking...every screen on the display is customizable...i.e. there is a browser.swf[shockwave file/flash] which searches via a keyboard.
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Samsung p3 and the Cowon S9 are the only 2 mp3 players you should ever look at. If you want an internet device, get something else. Both of these crush the Ipods and Zunes like no tomorrow. Both are still better than the Zune HD. The only improvement on the Zune is the wireless internet.

The cowon s9 has an INCREDIBLE EQ. I mean it. It's got such an amazing custom EQ, I am not sure what to say about it except Why the HELL other mp3 players dont have it is beyond my rational thinking power. You get like 10 band EQ all together. Thats more than Windows Media Player. You get bass boost, and surround sound mimic. The EQ on the s9 is better than anything you can get with Windows Media player or Itunes.

The p3 doesnt have the extensive EQ as the s9 does, but its still better than the zune and the ipods combined. The Cowon s9 has 60 hour audio battery life!!!! and 9-11 hours of video. Downside to both is no wireless net connection. Both are cheaper than the ipods and zunes :p

Actually, the Zune HD got a lot more improvements than just, "wireless internet". Improved sound quality, wifi, apps, (Well, there's some potential for the better.) OLED screen, HD radio, and uses Tegra. To me, it can become something massive. However, we need to give it some time.

And despite the S9's decent EQ, a lot of people find it to sound colored, and severely lacking in soundstage. But of course, everyone hears differently. I cannot judge the S9's SQ, as I've never heard it, but I personally love the Ipod's SQ through the JVC VICTOR fx-500 I have. Moreso than my clip.

lol. The S9's battery is supposed to last 55 hours with 128kbps music, no jeteffects touched and screen turned off. Most people over at ABI tells me that the battery usually lasts about 40 hours on an average basis, which is clearly not 55 hours. Still good for a portable device. Zune HD is supposed to last for 33 hours. Well, we don't know how long it'll last just yet, as it just got released.

Lastly, over in Canada, they all cost about the same. Ipod touch 3rd gen 32 gigs costs 299.99, and Cowon S9 goes for 288.68. HOWEVER, there's the shipping fee. It's 10 dollars. Oh, and remember that in Canada, almost anything you buy will take at least a week to 3 weeks. Lets not forget about our 13% taxes in Vancouver either! Or, I can go across the border and buy a Zune HD, pay 289 USD, pay no taxes, and save money.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #29 of 30
The battery on the D2[reportedly 52 hours] has always been achieved with 128/No EQ & screen off, so there is no lie about the S9s battery...there should be no misguidance.

I find it funny how folks denegrate SQ & soundstage in a DAP.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #30 of 30
I can't recall anybody writing that the S9 sounded colored with no soundstage. As for myself, I chose it because it sounded less colored and had a wider, more airy soundstage than the Sony X series. I will say that the Sony was a very close second choice.

The S9 interface out of the box is not so great. Upgrade the firmware to 2.41 and use the Claw UI and it works well. It did take more work to make the interface to my liking compared to the Sony. Out of the box, the Sony was easier to use. Even tweaked, the S9 UI is less to my liking than the Sony, but the difference is not that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back