Is the Cowon j3 really worth it?
Mar 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #107 of 121

Quote:
no, there is nothing for PC that to be the same great as j3's effects.... that is because j3 has hardware dedicated only for this, your computer and any computer not.....

Exactly; the reason the J3 can do BBE without lagging is because it's HARDWARE-based, and that is also why all points about "exporting" BBE to Android are completely moot. That's impossible to do, unless you rip out the chip and somehow connect it.

As far as I know, the J3 is, at least in Sweden, the only touchscreen player that can do gapless playback of FLAC, so as long as that is important to me, I have nothing to complain about. It's one hell of a player.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #108 of 121
I refuse to accept that answer!

BBE's sonic maximizer sounds similar to the effects on Jet effect so I think it's possible to reproduce on computer effectively.

If they could make a good PC version of Jet Effect, I would pay definitely pay for it.

Quote:

Exactly; the reason the J3 can do BBE without lagging is because it's HARDWARE-based, and that is also why all points about "exporting" BBE to Android are completely moot. That's impossible to do, unless you rip out the chip and somehow connect it.

As far as I know, the J3 is, at least in Sweden, the only touchscreen player that can do gapless playback of FLAC, so as long as that is important to me, I have nothing to complain about. It's one hell of a player.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #109 of 121
that is the secret, my friend..... that bbe and jeteffect are only for cowon players.... if they were for pc's, i would assure you, they would be for android and everything.....this and they would be on torrents..... everything can be pirated.... but bbe is an hardware component..... you cannot put this in software.... is like adding some virtual video card memory.... it simply isn;t possible.... i mean it can, but your pc will be the same slow.... 

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #110 of 121
I have a dream

Maybe I should just go and bribe them... Get Cowon to make a good player with a line-out or BBE release a plugin... 
It seems the Cowon X5 has a line out...

Quote:
that is the secret, my friend..... that bbe and jeteffect are only for cowon players.... if they were for pc's, i would assure you, they would be for android and everything.....this and they would be on torrents..... everything can be pirated.... but bbe is an hardware component..... you cannot put this in software.... is like adding some virtual video card memory.... it simply isn;t possible.... i mean it can, but your pc will be the same slow.... 

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #112 of 121
Quote:
line out?.... i don;t understand for what..... bbe and jeteffects are not the same with bypassing the chip in the player....

O right. I'm going to play around with settings on my J3 -> Anedio D1 and see if it's possible to get a relatively clean signal. I tried the new Jet Audio update and distortion is still prevalent with the equalizer and enhancements.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #113 of 121
You could always write to BBE. www.bbesound.com

If they made BBE+ for Cowon then theoretically you should be able to take part of their services as well. Send an inquiry about their products!

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #114 of 121
EQ on J3 is WAY better than useless Ipod app. That's a fact, not a subjective opinion. I find the ipod eq app to be pretty much useless.

If you are a EQ fanboy, J3 is your choice. I find J3 eq to be one of the best (have owned sony, ipod, and sound alive from samsung) but i would tell people to get Touch because of WIFI and stuffs. Also, just because J3 has better eq it does not mean it has better sound quality but if only thing you do is listening to music and watching videos, J3 is the perfect choice.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #116 of 121
Quote:
You could always write to BBE. www.bbesound.com

If they made BBE+ for Cowon then theoretically you should be able to take part of their services as well. Send an inquiry about their products!

Dang dude. That's probably a lot of money LOL  I think I might eventually ask them but for now I'm very busy with work.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #117 of 121

Quote:
EQ on J3 is WAY better than useless Ipod app. That's a fact, not a subjective opinion. I find the ipod eq app to be pretty much useless.

If you are a EQ fanboy, J3 is your choice. I find J3 eq to be one of the best (have owned sony, ipod, and sound alive from samsung) but i would tell people to get Touch because of WIFI and stuffs. Also, just because J3 has better eq it does not mean it has better sound quality but if only thing you do is listening to music and watching videos, J3 is the perfect choice.

Wrong!

The Equalizer and EQu apps are far from useless.....they are very, very effective. I'm not talking about the Touch's native EQ presets, which suck hard.....these 3rd party apps are incredible. The Cowon EQ is pretty good, and used judiciously with BBE and Mach3Bass you can achieve excellent results, but it's possible to go too far and end up with unnatural sound. I have a Cowon and a Touch 4G with the two EQ apps, and I've done a lot of comparing back-to-back....I enjoy both players' sound equally.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #119 of 121
I bought a 32gb J3 a few months ago.  I am very happy with it for several reasons aside from the EQ.  First, it has native support for FLAC which means I don't have to deal with conversion and it's one less thing to hassle with.  Second, the internal amplifier is as strong and clean as any I have heard.  Third, it is small which makes it easy to stuff in a shirt pocket.  Fourth, it has the folder option which means that a missed tag will not split one album into many.  I also like having the ability to drag and drop files without being tethered to a media manager software and being able to have cover art simply by having a cover.jpg file in the folder.  I use the external play/pause and volume buttons continuously though I find the button placement counter-intuitive and I have a tendency to push the buttons inadvertently.

I considered a Touch 4G and passed in favor of the J3 because of the EQ options, FLAC support and drag and drop.  Price for a 32GB version was about the same and not a factor in my decision.

I recently bought my son a Touch 4g and spent a couple of hours comparing it to the J3.  The 4g Touch has vastly improved SQ when compared to my 3g Touch.  Interestingly, I got an 8GB 3g Touch near the end of the 3g production run and it sounded much better than a 64GB 3g Touch I had bought six months earlier.  The 8GB 3g Touch was so much better that I sold the 64GB Touch.  The 4g Touch is still noticeably better than the better of the 3g Touches I owned.  I did not use either of the software eq apps which have been mentioned.  I still preferred the sound from the J3 over the 4g Touch.  It was not, however, a slam dunk.  There were subtle differences between them with each being stronger in particular respects.  I don't think either is necessarily a wrong choice.

I see the advantages of the Touch as being wifi and everything that brings, the wide range of apps which are available, the size of the screen and the better UI.  The Touch just does a lot more.  My needs were restricted to playing music which made the J3 a better choice for me.  If I played games on the device as my son does or had the Facebook obsession which seems epidemic, I probably would have bought the Touch.

I should also mention that if music playback with EQ is the priority, a Sansa Fuze with Rockbox is a much cheaper alternative.  I have one of these and I enjoy the SQ from this device as much as the J3 although I find the Rockbox UI more difficult to use than the J3 UI (which I also don't really like).  I also have an "E" series Sony Walkman which has a customizable EQ and sounds pretty good for a relatively light investment.  My point is that if the goal is good sound with EQ and money is an issue, there are more frugal ways to get there than the J3 or the Touch.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #120 of 121
I just tried the EQu for a bit. It sounds great. Nothing too unnatural. It's rather difficult to get surgical on it since it's touch, but it's easy if you spend a few minutes. They positioned the menu while adjusting in a good position.

It's a very good linear phase EQ. It's good to balance out the issues you have with your preferences and your headphones with these. Change the sound however you like and there isn't much sacrifice.

However, when compared to the Cowon, it gets difficult. The Cowon can still definitely do things the EQu can not. You can't dramatically boost bass impact without making the rest of the sound warmer. This is where BBE's Mach3bass has a clear advantage. The Mach3bass still makes the sound warmer, but no where near as warm as adjusting an EQ. Adding BBE and adjusting mids in addition keeps the clarity of the rest of the sound intact. Generally, first impression is like every impression with an equalizer: you can boost the bass but it makes the rest of the sound warmer, but linear phase usually sounds better at least IME. It's not exactly the same with the Cowon. Cowon can do better.

Also, one thing that isn't mentioned much is that Cowon allows soundstage enhancements which can sound natural and appear to increase soundstage if used lightly. Not so with a regular EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back