Is the Cowon D2 really that great?
Jul 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

MPorts

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I currently have an iPod Classic 80gb with mainly classical lossless files on it; whilst I'm reasonably happy with it I'm really miffed with the EU volume cap. I find it difficult to listen to some on the calmer classical tracks whilst out and about in public.

I also read quite a lot about the SQ of the Classic compared to the D2….

I had thought about adding an amp to the Classic, but having been off work with a long-term medical condition, money is a little tight at the moment, so that option is out of the question.

I could sell the Classic on Fleabay and purchase a 4gb Cowon D2. However before I go ahead and do this, I thought I’d ask for your opinions first:

In comparison to the iPod Classic, is the D2 really as great as everyone makes out?

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 45
The headphone out is better imo, and has half the amount of hiss that my 5.5g has.

For example, I an hear hiss with Grados out of my 5.5g's hp jack. On my D2 I do not. My D2 is my number 1 player for use without a portable amp.

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 45
You can get 8gb iAudio 7 for the cost of 4gb D2.

I don't know how important the features of the D2 are for you. There is plenty volume on the 7 - I have it just over half way when mowing the lawn.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 45
why get the 4gb D2??

I just got the 16gb D2 + 16 GB SDHC and let me tell you that I have extremely happy... customization is fun and you can really do a LOT of things you cannot do on the iPod... just my opinion.

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 45
Since you have a Classic 80GB, just get an LOD and a portable amp.

The Gain of an amp can always make up for the volume loss.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you have a Classic 80GB, just get an LOD and a portable amp.

The Gain of an amp can always make up for the volume loss.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a Classic, but I've read on these threads that a LOD and amp would make a huge difference in SQ. And obviously the amp will give you the gain you need.

The problem you'll probably have with the D2 is the memory - if you are using lossless (I'm assuming ALAC), there's a big difference between a 4GB (or even a 4GB + 16GB SDHC) and 80GB. Plus, you'll have to convert all your Apple lossless files to FLAC so the D2 can play them. Since you're already 90% committed, it may not make sense to completely change your setup.

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 45
both are good players. but the use of them is different. the d2 is flash and has a bit longer battery. it has 'support' for free codecs. the ipod supports all the codecs it says properly.

but d2 can use any software that is capable to just do drag and drop, say from itunes and keep all the information. similar to how an ipod is used. radio etc. the ipod is more of a hifi device with fewer internal features but more focus on music: gapless and properly supporting lossless with features like album art, easy rating system and massive storgage.

but it is up to you. cowon also have loads of special effects if you like that.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 45
true, apple often underestimate battery life on purpose so no one gets mad. my nano gets soemtiems more than 30 hours and my touch has gotten up to 28 hours on straight playthrough.

my d2 never got over 45 hours and my sony stays pretty much at around 30.. never tested my meizu but it seemed to topple down pretty soon

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 45
I recently sold my D2 I just had so many tagging issues that I just did not want to deal with it anymore. My old ipod nano simply tagged everything and that was that.

My vote is ipod.

pink

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 45
For a new purchase I'd choose the D2 if nothing else (like better battery life, better file support, better OS support in that it doesn't require iTunes, ..) because it's a flash memory based player instead of harddrive based. I don't want a harddrive based since it will be more likely to break I guess.

If I already owned the iPod then I don't know, I guess you don't consider that part an issue then.

Does rockbox work on the newer iPods?

Isn't there programs which remove the sound volume limiter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back