Is the CK100 very source dependent?
Dec 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zentenk

Head-Fier
Okay so it has been a bad week. I lost my adored UM3X on a taxi ride... and my backup RE0's left stopped outputting sound and after emailing Head-Direct the day before I still haven't received a reply.

I'm not very sad about the RE0 because I didn't really like it, but I love the UM3X. I liked how the UM3X was very forward in the mids and the clarity was awesome. It also had a very good synergy with the X1050 (at least I think so). I tried the IE8 and W3 and I didn't like the former and the latter just didn't fit as good as the UM3X. That said, I wanted to try something new, perhaps a step up from the UM3X. So after some research I find that the CK100 has some of the characteristics I love about the UM3X, that is - the forward mids and epic clarity.

However, I see from some threads that the CK100 is very source dependent, and seeing that I will mostly be using it with my MBP and Sony X1050 dishing out .m4a and .mp3@320kps respectively (or Galaxy Nexus when it comes out) with no amp and external DAC, will that be a problem?

On a side note, has anyone here tried the CK100pro? I may wait a little and dish out a little more for the pro.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 5
From what I hear, the CK100 mids are forward, but cold. I haven't actually listened to them yet, but I did just purchase a pair which should be coming soon. I'll try and give you my take on them once they arrive.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 5
I used to own UM3x and loved them, and have auditioned CK100 but could never get on with them well. I really wanted to like them, and there is something very interesting about their forward mids, but every time I listened to them (especially with rock and metal) they had a shocking brightness and tininess that I found very off-putting. They are just overall odd-sounding to my ears...Extremely cold sounding like the poster said above, and too heavily weighted in the mids and top-end. Not at all like the UM3x, which actually has very strong bass and more intimate, warm-mids.

On the other hand, the new CK100Pro sounds fantastic from my two brief auditions, and may be along the lines of what your are looking for. They are pretty expensive though!

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Okay so it has been a bad week. I lost my adored UM3X on a taxi ride... and my backup RE0's left stopped outputting sound and after emailing Head-Direct the day before I still haven't received a reply.

I'm not very sad about the RE0 because I didn't really like it, but I love the UM3X. I liked how the UM3X was very forward in the mids and the clarity was awesome. It also had a very good synergy with the X1050 (at least I think so). I tried the IE8 and W3 and I didn't like the former and the latter just didn't fit as good as the UM3X. That said, I wanted to try something new, perhaps a step up from the UM3X. So after some research I find that the CK100 has some of the characteristics I love about the UM3X, that is - the forward mids and epic clarity.

However, I see from some threads that the CK100 is very source dependent, and seeing that I will mostly be using it with my MBP and Sony X1050 dishing out .m4a and .mp3@320kps respectively (or Galaxy Nexus when it comes out) with no amp and external DAC, will that be a problem?

On a side note, has anyone here tried the CK100pro? I may wait a little and dish out a little more for the pro.

I'd take it safe and buy another pair of UM3X's.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 5
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585007/review-ck100pro-unboxing-impressions-a-retrospective-journey-with-audio-technica-and-versus-ck100

Try reading my review OP, may help you decide better. And to answer your original topic, yes I do feel that the CK100 is more source dependent than the CK100PRO. It seems much harder to get a good 'synergy' out of the CK100 than CK100PRO to my ears, since I own both the iPod Touch 4th Gen and a Sony HDD Walkman. (NW-HD5 series) According to the chinese BBS forums I had researched, if you are intending to pair these with a proper portable amp, either the iQube V2 (and maybe V3 as well) or the Rudistor XJ-03 should have the most synergy with the CK100s. But because Rudistor has already discontinued the XJ-03 sometime back and the iQubes are kinda out of my budget (and for their size they are considered transportable amps and not exactly that portable), I haven't been able to acquire them to test it out all these while despite reading the very positive reviews of them around the net, of their results with the CK100 IEMs.

I do hope to acquire a Kenwood MediaKeg HD30/HD60 next time though, according to the japanese and chinese BBS discussions I had researched previously their HP out sounds the best with CK100 as well w/o the need for an amp to power it. (although I do own a Audinst AMP-HP myself, usually I don't like to bring portable amps out with me since I prefer to stick to a single device)

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back