Is the built-in HD Audio chip enough?
Jan 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

triple_b

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First of all I just registered so hi.
normal_smile .gif

I currently use my PC for music, with the onboard chip, a Realtek HD Audio ALC889. It supports 7.1 Audio and has an optical output along with the Blu-Ray support and all the shizzle. It's damn good compared to my previous computer's Via AC '97 but I couldn't tell whether it sucks or not provided I never had a proper sound card besides my good old Sound Blaster Live.
Given that I mostly listen to MP3s (256/320 kbits) on either a Sony CMT-GP7 or a Sennheiser HD250 Linear-II :

1) Would I hear a signficant difference upgrading to a dedicated sound card?
2) Are all the Creative "I-kan-mek-ur-mptreez-betur" systems actually efficient?
3) If question 1) and 2) are answered positively, what sound card should I get?

My motherboard supports both PCI and PCI-Express (1X), I don't need any 5.1 enhancement or gamer thingy. Regarding the budget, I'd rather not max out my credit card for it so it has to be worth the money.

I know this must've been asked like a million times but everyone's different, given every headphone set is different....

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple_b /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1) Would I hear a signficant difference upgrading to a dedicated sound card?
2) Are all the Creative "I-kan-mek-ur-mptreez-betur" systems actually efficient?
3) If question 1) and 2) are answered positively, what sound card should I get?

1) Yes, I went from the a very recent HD audio chip on a 790FX board, to an X-fi platinum and it was a definitive increase.
2) Nope, their crystalizer and such just distorts the mp3s.

3) Whats your budget and will it be used more for games or music?
The general consensuses is that X-fi's are better for gameing audio and Asus Xonars are better for music, but still there's a couple options from each company depending on your price.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your answer.

In terms of budget I'd like to stay under, say, €100 ($145). I did some research and that still allows me to get the Asus Xonar DS, D1 and DX, or the Creative Audigy SE, X-Fi Xtreme Audio, or the X-Fi Titanium.

I listen to a lot of music and I don't really care about the sound quality when I play games, what the onboard chip provides me's way enough so it can't get worse.

Also, keep in mind that I'm running Windows 7, I'd like to avoid any driver-related issue.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 6
The DS is an amazing bargain. It is supposedly stripped of some Dolby specs, but if 2 channel stereo is your thing you really can't go wrong. The fact it's internal spdif header passes audio to my video card for synchronised HDMI audio/video output, is the icing on the cake for me. Cost me around £30, amazing value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back