Is the Audio Technica M50x overhyped?
Nov 21, 2014 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kerubin

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade to some decent headphones as i've been using my se215's for everything recently. The M50x seem to be everyone's favourite for 200 dollar and under headphones. Is it overhyped or is it really as good as people say? Also the blue version looks really cool but does synthetic leather get dirty really ease? If you could think of something better for under 200 (keep in mind im in australia so everything is way overpriced here) i'd really appreciate if you told me. I only use my headphones to listen to mainly electronic music so i enjoy a bit of bass and i'm only using them in my house so I don't really mind if the headphones are open or closed.
a link to the ones im looking at - http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

Thanks for the help!

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 10
M50 is a well proven headphone among the head-fi community and has been for many years, it seems the most popular alternative for most who leave the 'beats' scene. I've owned them twice, they will indeed fit what you're looking for and your music genres, they're a great headphone.

Either the M50 or M50x.

The pads are quite easy to clean just wiping them over with a soapy cloth, they will last a long time with some loving care from your end.. if however you start venturing into white coloured pads you're going to have some problems with staining.

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 10
depends where your coming from really. i got them in october and made me finally start replacing alot of my music for loseless from standard mp3. most accurate pair of head phones iv ever owned and the detachable cable is a big selling point for me. having a 1.2m cable for when i use it outside and a 5m cable that i just have hooked up to my pc is convenient to say the least

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 10
It is kind of overhyped. It's a good headphone for the price, but some people go overboard and say it's the best headphone or whatever. Not everyone likes them but for your music it should work.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm not really a closed headphone kind of person, but I have the M 50s for when I am using musical instruments like playing drums or guitar and I really need to hear what's coming through the amp and none of the outside noise.

And I have to say I love these things. I think they sound awesome price not withstanding. I have the curse, I am not very tolerant of crappy sound. Don't even bother listening to music in my car, just do audiobooks. If it can't sound "correct" I'd rather not listen to it.

I have a pair of Q701s that were made in Austria so they were the $400 ones, HiFiMan HE-500. That is the company my M50s keep.

I'm new to the board but I've been reading it for years and while I don't know all the language I do know that things that other people think sound amazing I think some like crap. Point is I am not easy to please and the audio arena. And I love the M50.

All that being said, you never know when any company is going to screw up the latest model of a product so make sure to buy last years production run if there is any doubt.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah ill probably go with the M50x then because they're pretty much the only headphones that are easily available in Australia.
 I've heard people saying that the white pads on the m50x are a nightmare but the blue ones have tan pads. Do u think they'll still have the darkening in colour that the white ones do?

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 10
  Yeah ill probably go with the M50x then because they're pretty much the only headphones that are easily available in Australia.
 I've heard people saying that the white pads on the m50x are a nightmare but the blue ones have tan pads. Do u think they'll still have the darkening in colour that the white ones do?

I think you'll be fine. =)

Just spend some extra care with them, they will last many many years this way. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 10

where in Australia are you?
If you're in Sydney I can let you have a listen to my m50x then you can decide if it's worth it

and imo the blue/tan version looks bad in person

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
The thing with M50 series is that the user who use it mostly a people who just start to go to higher up audio system. It is clearly not a bad cans at all, for some people to spend 200$ for headphone and found these cans is really satisfying.

In the other side, there is people who stand far beyond them who have spend more money on the audio system which is why they said there is a lot of cans that is better than the M50 series.

At the end of the day, I don't think M50 series is overhyped. Although is not the best headphone in audio world, but M50 is a good starting point for those who want to take a step into audio world.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 10
I didn't like the m50x because of too much bass and lousy soundstage. But someone mentioned of a mod on this can by removing a large piece of backing inside the driver. I did the mod and to my surprise I have a completely amazing sound signature. This greatly improved the sound for me. Soundstage opened up, bass not boomy more natural and pleasant. The mid and highs are very crsp and clean. I now hear so much more detail then I could ever hope for. This is a mod every owner of the m50 should do. And if you don't like the results put back the backing. This is a very easy mod to do. I now have the kind of sound I always wanted in theses cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back