Is the ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 too much for headphones?
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jeffy14

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking to acquire a sound card. I have been using the Schiit Modi/mani combo for the past few years with the Audio Technica AD-700X, AKG K712 Pro, V-Moda Crossfade M-100 and Sony MDR MA900.
So I am considering 3 cards from the most expensive to the least expensive:
1) Asus Xonar Essence STX II 7.1
2) Asus Strix Raid DLX
3) Creative sound Blaster X AE-5

My use is 70% gaming and 30% music. I dont consider myself an audiophile but I like to have good sound quality.
I have a flexible budget but I dont want to get the most expensive ones if they are over-killed for my use.
Could you please tell me which one would be most appropriate for my usage?
Thank you very much for your help

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 6
I doubt any of those three sound card (at least stock) would offer a noticeable improvement in audio quality, over a Schiit stack.
Is the Modi a USB or optical DAC?

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 6
I doubt any of those three sound card (at least stock) would offer a noticeable improvement in audio quality, over a Schiit stack.
Is the Modi a USB or optical DAC?

Hi and thank you for your message.
My Schiit stack is running into problem. It does not always get detected when I plug it in any PCs. It is dying on me. That's why I am looking for a replacement solution and I thought about a sound card because I want to avoid to many cables and I want to save space.

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi and thank you for your message.
My Schiit stack is running into problem. It does not always get detected when I plug it in any PCs. It is dying on me. That's why I am looking for a replacement solution and I thought about a sound card because I want to avoid to many cables and I want to save space.

I guess the Schiit Modi DAC is dying on you?
But the Magni amp still works ok?

An Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $50, off eBay?) can be used as a DAC, just plug the Magni into it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-XONAR...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Man, I said I want to save space and I dont want cables everywhere and my budge is flexible.
Coming back to my original post. Which of the 3 options do you think is enough for my purpose and could give me a similar sound experience as the Schiit stack or better?
Thank you

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Man, I said I want to save space and I don't want cables everywhere and my budge is flexible.
Coming back to my original post. Which of the 3 options do you think is enough for my purpose and could give me a similar sound experience as the Schiit stack or better?
Thank you

I know you said you want to get rid of cables and free up desk space, but getting the Xonar DX (used with the Magni) would save you money.

My personal preference is for Asus sound cards, so I would get the Essence STX II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back