Is the Alessandro MS-1 for me?
Apr 7, 2008 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

umbalito

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

So I've just purchased my first pair of 'better than the dollar store' headphones - the Sennheiser PX100. And so far, it is a nice improvement from what I've been used to, but quite honestly, I'm not sure if the PX100s are for me.

For the most part I am happy with them, but there are times when I'm wishing for more detail, and I just find that the PX100's don't seem to bring out the vocals as much as I'd like.

Types of music I listen to vary from lots of metal, classical and some rock and anything with great female vocals.

So just in case you're familiar with any of these artists - that's basically the likes of Within Temptation, After Forever, to Jackson Browne, the Eagles and Journey, Hayley Westenra, Josh Groban etc..

90% of the time I'll be plugged into my laptop. And the other times will be on a Sony S616 DAP. No intention of getting an amp really. Alternating between music CDs and MP3s ripped at Variable Bit Rate, averaging around 256 or so (Probably MP3s 80% of the time)

So I've done some research so far, and the Grado SR60 and SR80 and the Alessandro MS1 seem to appeal to me based on descriptions of the great people in this forum. Although problem is I'm in Canada and they seem really hard to get! Another consideration for me is that if I am ordering online, I need it to be in my hands before May 1st as I'll be moving abroad for the next few months and would really like to have them with me before I leave. ( I seem to have found a Canadian seller selling the MS1's for $110 CAD, plus additional shipping)

So basically, I'm just wanting more detail, and I want the vocals to really pop. To me the PX100s seem just a bit too muddy for my taste.

Also, if anyone can recommend anything else, that'll be great. Or if you are from Calgary and know of anything that's available in-store locally, that will be even better.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm in the same boat as you. I went with the Grado SR80's, which are definitely a nice pair of cans, but perhaps they're not for me. They're a little harsh in the high end, and they're uncomfortable to wear for more than 30 minutes at a time.

if you're looking to get something that's good without an amp, you'll need something that's easy to drive... which means you'll probably want to go with an IEM (in-ear monitor, a bit of a pretentious name for in-ear buds)

I'd probably recommend the Shure 110s or Etymotic ER-6s based on your music tastes. Both can be had for around $100, and probably a little less depending on where you look.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 9
there should be some retailers in Calgary. Though i don't know if there'll be MS-1's in stock.I haven't found any retailers that sold the Alessandro series. Theres only like 2 places in Winnipeg so there has to be a at least 3 stores that specialize in Hi-fi.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies!

Might just get the MS-1s then if it is free shipping, although I guess I'll get dinged at the border, but shouldn't be much.

Hopefully I'll love em too, lol. I've pretty much limited my searches to open or closed headphones, IEMs just do not appeal to me, though if I see a really great deal on a decent one I might just get one, but I think I'll still end up wanting an open or closed headphone.

The only Calgary store I know of that seems to be fairly well stocked is Axe Music - Axemusic

but no Alessandro's or Grado though. I'm going through their list of headphones and looking up reviews to see if one will appeal to me. Otherwise I'll most likely get the MS-1 and get that free shipping

Cheers, and thanks again

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 9
The MS-1 will work wonderfully for the music you listed.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 9
and in the rare case that you don't like em, you can always sell em here at headfi

grados hold their value pretty well and you should be able to find a buyer fairly quickly

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 9
lol, the title makes me think of a commercial: old spice head and body wash

"ive got hair here, and here... is it right for me"
"ive got hair here, but not here... is it right for me"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back