Is the A&norma SR35 a silly buy in 2024?
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buffoonhead

New Head-Fier
Hello! I'm Pete and someone who likes music - like us all on here, but I also like hiking and running and am looking for some advice.

I have been using my phone with some Sony WFF-1000XM4 wireless earbuds - so not the best, nit that I can afford the best! I am looking to get a small DAP, under $1000/£1000 and later some new headphones (I'll probably stick with the Sony's for running/hiking).

I decided on the iBasso DX260 after tons of research, it is lighter and smaller than my phone. But it feels horrid and plasticky to me, I'm not sure if I am being daft!

I think I would prefer the form factor of the A&norma SR35. As an aside I want a stand alone music player and won't use any apps on the device other than a music app - apple music as we have family subscription and the file quality is decent.

Do people think the SR35 is relevant in 2024? Are there any other DAPs I should consider? I don't want to go bigger/heavier than the iBasso.

Anyway, apologies for the waffle, I've been torturing myself with indecision for 24 hours now so thought I would reach out for some forum-therapy!!

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Will you be sticking to wireless (Bluetooth) in-ears and headphones?

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Ooooh, good question!

I will definitely get a pair of decent headphones/IEMs for listening properly, and that'll be the next plea for help!

I will however stick with wireless for running/hiking - but the DAP will get lots of other use too, with yet to be purchased wired headphones.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 5
Okay, gotcha. I only ask because if you intend on sticking with Bluetooth only, then no DAP is needed as there's no sonic benefit to be had.

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with an SR35. It's still a current player, at the top of their Norma line. However, if it were me, I'd want to test drive some options before committing. Are you in a major metropolitan area by any chance? There might be a shop near you that has some DAPs to test.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 5
You might also look into the FiiO M11 Plus or the Shanling M6 Ultra or Sonys in your price range.

With A&K generally, you are paying for the name and the design on top of the performance.

I have a grudge against A&K for leaving Tidal users stranded when Tidal does updates. People who paid a bundle for AK70 or Kann lost Tidal with barely even an apology from A&K. Their later workaround was basically "Get Tidal on your phone and send it via Bluetooth to your A&K" which was just ridiculous.

https://www.astellnkern.com/aknews/akNews_detail.jsp?newsNo=9&searchParamUrl=newsCategoryNo=7&pageSize=10&page=1&langType=1

And personally I think the SR35 is kinda ugly, but that's up to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back