is T-amp old news
Dec 1, 2006 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

aris

100+ Head-Fier
I read rave reviews about this little unit but they all seem to be old. Is the hype gone or is it still worth buying or is there better out there now. basicaly I'm looking for an amp to power SPEAKERS. lol I hope you guys will forgive me since i think this is a headphone only forum

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 18
wow didn't realize you are so new
biggrin.gif

Super T-amp is Class C on stereophile, and personally I think T-amp + regulated/linear PS is better than Super T with the included switching PS. C+ it is
k1000smile.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 18
The only fault the standard T-Amp inherently has (cannot be cured with cleaner power source) is its lack of low frequency bass. Super T-Amp's larger output caps fix that, so Super T-Amp + regulated/linear PS should be a very respectable amp.

But personally, the build quality of most Class-T amps out there turns me off, even with the incredible sound quality. I'd really love to see a professional looking, $300 Class-T amp, with high quality parts and a nice case. Otherwise, I'd rather go with a C320BEE or Azur 640A for an entry level speaker setup.

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 18
thanks cmirza but looks like its too late the transaction is completed already.
I bought chesebert's setup. Now I will audition it and might keep it for a while and if i decide to upgrade i'll just post it on here

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 18
Dec 2, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 18
I got it today. Before I even listen to it in stock form, first thing I did was change the power caps to larger 1200uF and changed the input caps to 4.7uF metallized polypropylene caps that I had at hand. I also constructed a simple battery wire with 3amp inline fuse.

This is not a "review"...just my opinion

The setup is Airport express --> Monarchy DIP --> Ack Dack 1.2e (battery powered) --> Modded X10V3 tube buffer --> Modded TA10 (battery powered) --> vintage Bose 201 with Cambridge SoundWorks passive subwoofer (I know..I need a better speaker)

The result is astounding! The words that come up to mind is holographic, alter black background, more space between notes, deep yet controlled bass, good treble extension, warm silky vocal range, just fabulous. Imagine if I had a decent speakers
wink.gif
I never been a fan of speaker systems but this can change things.

From memory, it's better than the standard T-amp and even better than Super T-amp. This is designed for DIYers in mind.

Next stop...putting it in a better case. The case that comes in is not bad, actually pretty good. But I need a matching "box" with rest of my silver box setup
wink.gif

img0989ko4.jpg

img0992np5.jpg

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 18
I have one of these SIs. Sounds great with Radioshack 3 amp 13.8V PS. Bass is fine for a non-basshead. I would imagine it would sound good with NiMH batteries also.

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 18
The Super T was also up for, though did not win, a few of Stereophile's annual awards (this month's Stereophile).

I love the T-amps. I think the Super T is a good looking, clean design. The regular T looks a little bit like a toy, but it produces great sound for very little money.

Pic of my Super T:

hp100.jpg

Pic of my T-amp with old school ipod:

impact1_filtered.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back