Is Superlux HD 660 any good? :) - Looking for a set of closed cans for cheap
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Flax95

New Head-Fier
Dear Fellow head-fiers,

I'm pretty new to this world of awesome sounds and started it all with my purchase of the Sennheiser HD 598's, which I absolutely love BTW, but it kind of resulted in me just wanting more! :p

So even though I love my HD 598's, I would really like to try something completely different and I just got some extra cash on my hands, so I'm considering buying a cheap closed headphone in a complete other direction that the Senns - something with a bit more bass, suited for faster music, like rock, dubstep and that sort of stuff. I'm still going to use my Sennheisers for high-quality music with good clarity, but of course dont want muddy cans. Furthermore the soundstage doesn't need to be huge, as I've got that in my Senns, but i don't know about that... :p

I am  willing to spend a maximum of 50 euro with delivery (may be free) - what would you guys recommend me? :)
Hope someone will be able to help me out! :D

- I've been looking at the Superlux HD 660's myself, are they any good? Or some other Superlux cans you recommend? 

Kind regards,
Flax95

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 23
Forgot to mention that I'll be running them off my Asus Xonar Essence STX PC-soundcard with a build-in 0-600 OHM amp... Should be good for all cans in this price-range though?`:)

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 23
  I am willing to spend a maximum of 50 euro with delivery (may be free) - what would you guys recommend me? :)
Hope someone will be able to help me out! :D
- I've been looking at the Superlux HD 660's myself, are they any good? Or some other Superlux cans you recommend? 

For comfort, the HD660 really need to be used with aftermarket Velour ear pads.
Ear pads that fit the Beyerdynamic DT770/DT880/DT990 will also fit on the HD660.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160925687916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Check out the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 23
I'll go check those out, thank you!
- How do you find the HD 660's regarding sound? Comfort isn't really too important for me and I guess I could just pick up those other pads later on if they are as terrible as you claim... :)

Thank you for your time sir! :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 23
  I'll go check those out, thank you!
- How do you find the HD 660's regarding sound? Comfort isn't really too important for me and I guess I could just pick up those other pads later on if they are as terrible as you claim... :)

Thank you for your time sir! :)

Sound wise is good, for the price.
I bought them but never use them, the coiled cable is very stiff.
I prefer to use my "real" Beyer headphones.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 23
Haha, guess I would too with your inventory... :D
- regarding the Takstar Pro 80's, it looks like It's next to impossible to get my hands on them here in Denmark... At least at a reasonable price... :/

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 23
  Haha, guess I would too with your inventory... :D
- regarding the Takstar Pro 80's, it looks like It's next to impossible to get my hands on them here in Denmark... At least at a reasonable price... :/

They are sold under several names, Gemini, Takstar, Greathon, etc.

Someone on this thread might know of names it sold under, in Europe.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 23
Hey FLAX95,

Give the Superlux cans a try. You might be quite surprised! I was. They are by no means high-end but are fun cans to listen to and have a lot of bass(if that is your thing).
I enjoy them for listening to internet radio in the office. Just in case you think that I am new to this headphone thing and don't know good sound when I hear it, let me just say that I own 12 different headphones, including Q701s, HD650s and some nice Fisher Audio cans as well as six different headphone amps and three different DAC's so I recognize good sound when I hear it. I am not saying this to brag but just to give some frame of reference as to my involvement in this wonderful hobby.
Buy and enjoy!
Cheers, Swannie007. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 23
I wouldn't say a lot of bass is my thing, I'm in no means a basshead, as I, as said, love the detailed sound the HD 598's give me, but would still like to have another set of "fun" cans, going more towards the low end, just to try stuff out, you know, I'm new to all this... :wink:

But I see that the HD 660's in your opinion have a lot of bass? Is it too much for someone who isn't a real basshead or is the sound still good and clear? Would the Superlux HD 681 EVO be a better choice for me (I see you have tried both) or should I just go for it and try them out?

Thank you for your time, very helpful reply! 

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 23
The NAD VISO HP50's are about to take the headphone market by storm and become the new standard for audiophiles headphones under <$500.

I really suggest buying these over everything else.

BTW they have great, extended bass and they are closed cans.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 23
I don't think you get what I'm looking for thissomebs, I'm looking for a low-budget phone for a maximum of 50 euros = 67,5 dollars... I already have the Sennheiser HD 598's as my main pair and I am just looking for something different and fun for a low price... 
smily_headphones1.gif

- Also your reply sounds more like an advertisement than a suggestion... 
blink.gif

Any other suggestions/advice someone? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 23
@OP

HD660 is really good for the price, I got it for 1000PhP in the Philippines (around $20-25 USD), 2nd hand but in pristine condition

this is very suitable for rock, might be a bit bass-light and a bit harsh at treble for you (at dubstep i mean), and its impedance is at 150ohms each, meaning the volume is comparatively weak, so basic headphone amps are necessary

and what i love about these babies are it's match made in heaven with Fiio e6 red EQ setting, very good bass punch, guitar plucks and cymbals are crisp without the screeching sound (sibilance as those super audiophiles would say).. very bang-for-buck combo for rock music!

but if dubstep/techno/boom boom music is your thing, look elsewhere.. dont get me wrong, HD660 is really cool, this just underperforms without a headphone amp and/or with boom-boom music, if you know what i mean

EDIT: btw if you want a Superlux with a sound sig similar to HD660 but a bit more controlled/balanced, try HD330, it's almost the same look and size but it's semi-open compared to HD660 which is closed so sound would leak but imho HD330 is less harsh in treble area

my 2 cents!

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 23
Thank you, great reply!

I'm more and more into buying these by now! But about the bass... I don't know if you might've heard the Sennheiser HD 598's, but they are said to have a relaxed to weak bass. I don't think it's weak, but for music where a lot of stuff is going on and the bass is going, they can sound a bit boring in the low end. So are the HD 660's like that or did you just mean that they just weren't like a young mans car-stereo with a bad, but powerful subwoofer booming through the city? Haha! :D

Hope you understand my crazy explanation... 
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers!

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 23
HD598? Senn? wow that's expensive, I've read your reply and I was like "am I replying for a Superlux HD660 thread or a Senn HD600 one?" lol j/k

HD598 is open-back, and based on what I've heard, this has a really different identity compared to the Superluxes, it was like real-life, i guess it's the huge soundstage, but i must say that is the same reason why its bass is soft, i mean it's existant but its not punchy, definitely not for metal compared to HD660, which has a punchier bass, this is like a poor man's Sennheiser HD25-1, they are so similar, theyre both good for fast-paced music (afaik they call it PRaT), they have narrow soundstage and they're good for rock

if youre finding for something similar to Senn HD598, then the Superlux HD660 might not be for you, sorry i cant help too much i'm leaned towards the budget-fi bassy ones (the Pioneers, the Pro700mk2s of the world)

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 23
Haha, glad I could surprise you a bit! 
bigsmile_face.gif

But you are all wrong about your "conclusion", you seem to be perfect for the job of helping me, as I don't excpect or want a "copy" of my Senns, I'm looking for something completely different and I think I'll go ahead and buy the HD660's, thank you for your time!
beyersmile.png

I'll go ahead and ask my friends if they want to order something aswell to reduce shipping and then order in a day or two - I'll let you know what I think! 

- This seems to be a great forum with great people, can't wait to become further involved!

Cheers,
Flax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back