Is soundcloud a good music source?
Sep 23, 2015 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IMPERIUS

Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I was looking for a site that offers free music streaming- spotify isnt available here and I also know about soundcloud so I'm just using that.

My question is- is that platform a good source? Yes, its not original audio files but is it at least decent?

EDIT: I did some testing and I admit, I get my music thru a bit of "shady" ways- thru downloading. Spare your pirating complaints. So downloading thru web services by pasting the url from the song from yt or SC resulted in a 2.7mb file, while a standalone desktop program that first downloads the whole video then rips the audio from it resulted with a 5.5mb file (same music, same lenght). Both are mp3 formats.

Theoretically speaking bigger file = better soundquality? Also, those mp3 songs that I have would be classified as bad audio quality, wouldn't it? Something to now be paired with mid end stuff (200-300eur), right?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd say that what you hear on Soundcloud is pretty decent. In general better than Youtube quality.

MP3 Doesn't need to be bad audio quality. There has been no blind test in which someone could tell the well converted 320kbps MP3 and the lossless formats apart. Lower quality MP3s or a poor converter can audibly deteriorate the audio.

2.7Mb is very small, even for MP3. I can't believe that sounds good unless the song is just 1 minute short.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 5
  I'd say that what you hear on Soundcloud is pretty decent. In general better than Youtube quality.

MP3 Doesn't need to be bad audio quality. There has been no blind test in which someone could tell the well converted 320kbps MP3 and the lossless formats apart. Lower quality MP3s or a poor converter can audibly deteriorate the audio.

2.7Mb is very small, even for MP3. I can't believe that sounds good unless the song is just 1 minute short.

The song was 2.57 minutes long. Thats what is weird with me, using a web/online service such a small file- what could the desktop program do better? Also the dev tools (the stuff if you press F12) says that its 2.7mb big

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 5
>Theoretically speaking bigger file = better soundquality? Also, those mp3 songs that I have would be classified as bad audio quality, wouldn't >it? Something to now be paired with mid end stuff (200-300eur), right?
math is simple:
(2700000x8)/177=120kbit
(filesizex8)/(length in seconds)=average bit rate

A rip from cd is 1411kbit, it means that this cd rip have 12 times more information than your file. Is it audible? Yes.
Inventors of mp3 coding, fraunhofer society tried to make this deterioration of information inaudible for you, also they have tried to cut sounds you suppose won't hear.

Here are the sites with music: bandcamp, jamendo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back