Is Soundcard an important factor in sound quality if connecting to an external DAC?
Aug 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

J@CKY

Head-Fier
I have always confused which one is the determining factor in a "computer as source" audio setup.

My desktop computer has an on-board sound card that provide S/PDIF out (both coax and optical).  I am not sure if an external USB to S/PDIF out digital converter will deliver a better result than my on-board one. (say M2Tech hiFACE, or V-LINK)

I bet the answer will be yes, external ones will be better than on-board one. But I want to understand why. 

To me, both cases are the same as the process should be simply converting 1010 digital signals to another interface only.  Theoretically, there should have no data lost.  But apparently, there must be something I have missed as many of the head-fiers stated that there IS in fact some difference in terms of SQ when comparing both cases.  

Basically, my question in a nutshell will be:
Are there any difference in sound quality if rigs are connect the following ways?

1.  Desktop computer ► USB to S/PDIF converter (no brand, cheap one, or on-board sound card with S/PDIF out) ► DAC ► Head-Amp ► Headphone

2.  Desktop computer ► costly USB to S/PDIF converter (say M2tech hiFACE) ► DAC ► Head-amp ► Headphone.

Assumptions:

1. same track of music being played in both cases (say 24b/48k)

2. the cheap USB to S/PDIF converter support the sampling rate and depth of the music being played without upsampling. (i.e. native 24b/48k in this example)

3. DAC, Head-amp and headphone are the same in both cases.

P.S. I have opened a thread in Sound Science board as well, but want to receive more input as this board has more potential reader
http://www.head-fi.org/t/568043/

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 10
Why do you bet that it will be better?

Personally, I think this has to do more with the practical intention of a converter because on the one hand there are netbooks, laptops or even PCs without a SPDIF or Toslink out and  on the other hand there are more DACs or for example AV-Receivers with only such inputs and no USB input. This is my opinion but there are many people with great ears and they will tell another story :)

The best would be if you try it yourself to  find an answer..

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, I bet it that way because I can see ppl saying they yielded better results from some pricy external digital converter when comparing to their laptop's built in optical or coax S/PDIF out.

My MB has already given me the digital output that most DAC accept as an input. If there is no difference, there is no point for me to invest Extra bucks in another external digital converter, right? :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 10
There is no audible difference. People have the habit of hearing what they want, if you just blew $200 on a fancy audiophile card it's always going to sound better than built-in coax/toslink connectors (as long as you don't do a double-blind test).

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Assuming that you are using something like ASIO and streaming to a capable DAC, there should be no difference (outside of your imagination).

USB-SPDIF externals are a ridiculous product. You might as well take apart each and every function in a DAC and break it out into a shiny, expensive box. You'll have the USB/SPDIF box, the SPDIF/I2C box, the clock box, the resampler box, etc... Note that I would not be surprised if there are several enthusiasts at head-fi who have just that (outside of diy) and who highly recommend the multi-thousand dollar plunge into absurdity.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Assuming that you are using something like ASIO and streaming to a capable DAC, there should be no difference (outside of your imagination).

USB-SPDIF externals are a ridiculous product. You might as well take apart each and every function in a DAC and break it out into a shiny, expensive box. You'll have the USB/SPDIF box, the SPDIF/I2C box, the clock box, the resampler box, etc... Note that I would not be surprised if there are several enthusiasts at head-fi who have just that (outside of diy) and who highly recommend the multi-thousand dollar plunge into absurdity.

I wouldnt say that it is ridiculous because personally I need it beside the SQ factor. So, it is practical at least for me..

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Ridiculous in the sense that they are meant to patch up features that should already be included in other products. Starting from scratch I would never choose to include a USB/SPDIF bridge in a computer-as-source and separate DAC setup. Most people would simply choose a DAC that already has a USB input or a computer with an SPDIF output; doing so would be considerably more cost efficient. Let's ignore that scenario and say that you have recently inherited an incompatible DAC and computer from the inheritance of two recent deaths in the family, or something. Then a USB/SPDIF might seem like an appealing fix, except that they have become niche products that are priced so far outside of their usefulness and function as to be ridiculed as ridiculous. I mean, surely, the 1299$ Sonic Weld USB-SPDIF converter is a joke. That's not a reasonable solution to a quandary, it's an extravagant piece of bling that audiophiles seek out either out of aesthetic preferences or out of some misplaced belief in the product's inherent superiority. You can find very capable DACs that have 24/96 USB input for less than that and save yourself the trouble of the added jitter of a converter. And ironically, dividing functionality among too many components, especially in DACs, can often decrease the resultant SQ performance.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 10
Some actual research in digital signaling in both computer science and Digital Sound seems to be in order here. There are tremendous advantages to properly incorporating Computer delivered sound to a digital and analog audio system as the design/purpose is quite different. An interface like the Musical Fidelity V-Link is one of the most cost effective and effective pieces of equipment in the marketplace today. I use one and am astounded that this is likely the finest interface into my monoblock tube system.

With very best regards,
Steve

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Welcome, Steve. Was it actual research in digital signaling in both computer science and Digital Sound that led you to choose to purchase a monoblock tube amp? Actual research into the consumer electronics marketplace leads me to believe that there are quite a few sub-100$ soundcards or DACs that are equally as effective and much more cost effective than the Musical Fidelity V-Link.

Although I gather that our estimates of value and functionality differ somewhat.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Ohhh no..not another thread like this :)..

This is discussed severeral times here and everybody has another opinion..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back