Is sony MDR-SA3000 bad choice for personal use on mp3 player?
Feb 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

canadien

New Head-Fier
I just bought this headphones for a very good price of $135 canadian, which equals US$115.

so are this bad choice for personal use?

Does anyone use them for MP3 player?

I tried a lot of headphones and quality of this headphone is just tad above other headphones that sell for under $100, and thats why I chose to buy this, but after reading some articles I'm getting a vibe that these headphones were made for deejay's and are not really made for personal use? Is that correct?

I listen to upbit club and remix music, and I though this would be perfect match, please guys give me some feedback for me to get a grasp of what this headphones really are?

I can't really compare them with high priced headphones, but looking at the price would you reccomend keeping them?

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi.

I'm not a fan of the SA series (Sony brightness issue), but they should work fine out of a portable and many love them for their resolution. I seriously can't imagine them for DJ use though. The big issue I suppose for either use is leakage. Comfortable as hell though.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't see why they wouldn't sound good, they are supposed to be very decent headphones. Worse come to worse, you end up buying a headphone amplifier (if you don't already have one). They probably will not be the greatest for use in public places, as they are open headphones, meaning that those around you will be able to hear what you are listening to and you will be able to hear those around you. Not too bad of a price on them though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see why they wouldn't sound good, they are supposed to be very decent headphones. Worse come to worse, you end up buying a headphone amplifier (if you don't already have one). They probably will not be the greatest for use in public places, as they are open headphones, meaning that those around you will be able to hear what you are listening to and you will be able to hear those around you. Not too bad of a price on them though
smily_headphones1.gif

Is that just extra connector or is it equipment? sorry for noob question but I only listen to music on computer and MP3 players so I'm not acquainted with theses concepts...

I myself only listen to music for personal use, but don't mind if other people around me get to hear my music, I used to turnup volume in previous headphone just so other can hear my music, I know its not nice, but what can I do, I love my music
rs1smile.gif

I had terrible experience with voice cancellation as they're dangerous when walking down the road and can't hear cars coming around you...and I don't mind little bit sound from outside, its actually reassuring that I won't run into car, as I can hear environment around me clearly...

Any feedback about amplifier would be greatly appreciated...

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 6
It sounds like the SA3000 will work out fine for you. Just keep in mind the Sony SA series are not bass heavy phones so if you want a lot of bass you should look somewhere else. They are also very detailed so they might be kind of unforgiving to poor quality mp3 files.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that just extra connector or is it equipment? sorry for noob question but I only listen to music on computer and MP3 players so I'm not acquainted with theses concepts...

There is an extra forum for headphone amps here.

Quote:

I myself only listen to music for personal use, but don't mind if other people around me get to hear my music, I used to turnup volume in previous headphone just so other can hear my music, I know its not nice, but what can I do, I love my music
rs1smile.gif

You know that this is a pretty darn good way to ruin your hearing, right? Way too many young people suffer from hearing loss due to regular exposure to overly high volumes in clubs or from earbuds cranked up to mask outside noise. Not Recommended.[tm] Ringing in the ears is a pretty definite sign that you've been listening too loud.

Quote:

I had terrible experience with voice cancellation as they're dangerous when walking down the road and can't hear cars coming around you...and I don't mind little bit sound from outside, its actually reassuring that I won't run into car, as I can hear environment around me clearly...

Normal isolating closed in-ears or headphones should be fine then, even IEMs provided one doesn't listen too loud (but that's the whole point anyway). No incredibly open cans like SA3000s for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back