Is Sony bringing out an 'AUDIOPHILE' player???
Jul 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AUDIOBREEDER

Headphoneus Supremus
It's all quiet on Sony front and knowing that F was released recently, maybe this will start an evolution to their next player.

I hope they remove the walkman brand and add something like 'digiman' for digital files.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 32
I thought too they were gonna kill off the Walkman range, I'd be sad if they did that though, been a fan of them for quite a while. They just released new E-Series (E580 & E370) Walkmen a week ago. I don't think they'll let that go just so easily. Maybe an "Audiophile" player takes high hopes. I think they'll just keep the low end line up of W, E and S series walkmen. What they should have done, is not discontinue the X, Z, A series walkmen. It looks like they're concentrating more on Smartphones these days.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 32
It's be a while before they get their heads back around their hi-fi roots, I imagine. I was really hoping they would improve on the Z. And how dare you even think about killing off the 'Walkman' name. Off with thee head 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 32
Do hope Sony will return to the music player scene with a bang and offer their best WalkMan player.

The Sony X series was to be a big deal before Apple came and changed the landscape of consumer music devices.

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 32
I think the Z and F already were "audiophile" players. Sony builds their own chips and doesn't need to rely on 3rd party DACs and seperate output stages in form of OPAmps which will end up creating overly bulky designs. If they keep improving what they have Sony will be extremly hard to beat 2-3 generations from here.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
I'm curious too! Great battery life on that and FLAC support added. Do you think it will support 24/96 files too?

With a maximum of 16GB (more like 14 usable) it wouldn't be much use with 24/96, I'd say.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 32
what really annoys me is that sony already made a almost perfect player once,

Maybe im romantizicing it but the NW-HD5 was perfect, the sound quality was great (well... a bit dark), it had a amp bypass option that turned off the main amp so you can convert the headphone out to a line out, it had a normal standard usb plug for charging and data, 20-30h battery life with removable battery, portable hard drive function, the only major flaw was that for lossless you had to use atrac 3 and the social disease equivalent of a music managment software (music match is one of the WORST music loading and managment programs ever),

I think if sony made something similar today, no video playback, no graphical BS, only audio with 32gb memory, standard usb plug, good audio quality with a wolfson or AKM dac, amp shutoff option or switch to turn the HP out to line out, replaceable battery, and no WM port. make it UMS + MTP.

I dont want to watch movies on it, i dont want another cable plugged to my systen, i dont want to run out of juice while traveling and find that my WM-Port cable is still plugged to my PC at home.

I want good sound quality, at least 20 hours battery life, being able to charge it with the same charger i use for my phone and tablet and not to have to do voodoo to load files or convert them to a format the player can read.

***, sony invented the walkman, they didnt insist that you have special proprietary sony tapes with it, or use special sony batteries on it, it ran with standard audio tapes and used standard AA batteries.

Could you imagen todays sony making the 1970´s walkman ? they are like that wild kid that was wild in school and went to every party, made the walkman and fought the MPAA in court over the VCR, and then grew up to be a copyright lawyer...

Lets look at the Ipod´s major economical rival, im not talking feature equivalent, im not talking direct rival, im talking when the avarage person goes and buys a mp3 player that  isnt an ipod and why is that.

Sansa clip zip... why ? its  simple to use, it has good sound quality, its cheap (not one of our priorities here), no special cables, no special software, you just dump your music inside and it works, it uses a standard micro USB so you can charge it everywhere...

SONY needs that, they need to prove "we can still make a good, amazing sound quality, no ******** player" no WM port, no crappy software to load your music, no stupid features that make you watch movies on a  320x240 screen, just a good dap with good sound quality and resonable features (i guess some people want podcast support)

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 32
"Sansa clip zip... why ? its  simple to use, it has good sound quality, its cheap (not one of our priorities here),"

Speak for yourself. I love great CHEAP stuff.

Be thankful that Sony doesn't put a proprietary headphone jack on their players.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:
That's the down side with Sony player, no SD card slots.

But at first look it could be a good MP3 player. I still would want reviews on how it sounds.

I agree, if only the Z series had this. There is a disturbing trend as I think the humble MP3 player will disappear because the average person is content with the quality coming out of their phone and don't see the need to have an extra item to carry. Cowon and sony have almost given up here. Cowon has not replaced the J3 and the Z2 when released had outdated hardware. Sony has discontinued the Z series and has no plans to replace it.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 32
They need to improve the Z. Give it an SD card slot, HD screen, Tegra 4 of snapdragon  600 + and improve on the Dac and amp and they'd have a killer. It will never happen though. Someone would literally have to go knocking on their door with a some serious $$$$$$ and propose a personally made device. 
frown.gif
 Thus My perfect PMP will never exist (all thanks to the normal people. 
angry_face.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 32
Tegra NO.... tegra based devices are famous for their horrible sound quality,

And why would you need something as powerful as a spandragon 600 ?

Wouldnt it be better to use a cheaper ARM like a mediatek MT6589T and then implement on the side a independent sound circuit..

You want a wanking device thats totaly overpowered for a PMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back