Is something wrong with my DT 990 headphones
Jan 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

erivera89

New Head-Fier
ABout a year ago I purchased a brand new pair of Beyerdynamic Dt 990 headphones which I use to play PS3  and watch blu rays with the Fiio E9 and Mixamp. They were working flawlessly until the last few weeks. When ever I start a game, I hear some static "click" sounds. It almost sounds like when you have a 3.5mm cable that produces a static sounds when come in contact with something other than the headphone jack. These clicking noises are like pops and whenever I start a game, the black screen that follows the main PS3 menu, there are these staticy and popping noises that occur in both sides of the cans, sometimes one side after the other. And while in a game, this popping noise occurs in between a cutscenes and gameplay. This noise also occurs when I am on youtube. When ever I fast forward a video or whenever i switch to another I hear these popping sounds. My first logical explanation was that the E9 amp or the auxillary cable must be damaged, thus producing the degraded audio signal. So I tried connecting the Headphones directly to the input such as directly to a pc or the mixamp, I get that popping noise when I initially plug it in and still when I change a song or during gameplay. I have no clue what might be causing this popping static sound and I fear it might be the headphones that are damaged as I have dropped then before on marble flooring. But nothing rattles if I shake them and they still feel intact. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, would you please tell me what could be wrong. I'm just worried that they are  damaged, and if I send them to getfix, the repair people will say nothing is wrong with the headphones and that they sound find to them. I was tempted to buy another pair through Amazon, and switch out the drivers and cushions so that it still looks new when I return it, but I am too honest to do such a thing. So please if am stressing out because I look forward to using these everyday when I come back from school, and the thought of them not sounding to their optimal level is making me quite upset. Thanks.

Manny

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think it comes from your headphone but from your amp or your source or...

Quote:
was tempted to buy another pair through Amazon, and switch out the drivers and cushions so that it still looks new when I return it, but I am too honest to do such a thing.

Really honest, are you sure? lol

I never thought in my life to do something like this,lol.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 6
The idea of consumer fraud sickens me.

Bit, alas, you most likely have a hair in your driver.  Take the pads and foam off, and blow canned air across your driver.  Remove the hair, remove the clicking sound.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry for that  statement, but I was never serious just really upset about my headphones. I've given thought of hair being stuck in, but this popping noise occurs in BOTH sides. Although its possible that both sides might have hair, I find it unlikely that's the cause. It popping sound sounds more"electrical" if anything else. How exactly do you remove the foam and pads. I've tried before and it seems like they are glued on since they are very snug. I'm just scared I'm going to rip something or I won't be able to put the back on. Whats the best way to take them off? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back