Is something Wrong with me??
Feb 17, 2006 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GrooveTropics

Head-Fier
For some reason when I was playing a few songs on this ibook laptop in highschool between a Sennheiser HD 202 and Grado SR-80 and I didnt known the price range for the 202's and for some reason I could only hear a slight difference?? Maybe its the source? (ibook) was listening. Obviously the Grados had a slightly warmer sound and the senns werent as clear, more like a scratchy up front sound with a punchy bass but if I didnt know how much they were worth so I think I was being optimistic.
I listened to Jimi Hendrix:
Electric Lady Land
Easy Rider
Stepping Stones

then 2 Hip Hop songs called Day at the Races and I am Somebody by Jurrasic 5.

Im thinking it was the source and Im also thinking that you need a bit more juice like a amp or something to get the full potential out of a pair of Grados.

By the way if you get a chance, go and buy Demon Dayz by Gorrilaz its and awesome Album and has some of the best mixture between Guitar and Funky ambient music Ive heard in a while it was sick!!!! Spent the last hour listening to it. What Ive also noticed is that when you plug the headphones into the stereo system headphone jack it cuts the volume nearly in half, something that sounds fine or slighty above quiet on the headphones would be blasting on the speakers. Anyway thanks and please respond.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 12
it takes me months to truly come to grips with a headphone (or anything audio for that matter) and what it sounds like. A quick blind test just dosen't tell me anything other than that my ears obviously suck.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Grado SR-80...warm???

Exactly what I was thinking! My SR-325i are hardly warm. In fact, the metallic sounding nature of the 'phones make them PERFECT for electric guitar tracks.

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 12
Demon Days is a totally kick-butt album because it flows so nicely from point A to point B.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Well I've never heard 202's but I have heard 212's which I believe are the step up from 202's and they were really flabby and kinda ugly sounding. My Grado's on the other hand are really sharp and fast. Seemed like polar opposites to me. However, when I first started listening to Grado's I couldn't tell the dif between SR60's and Koss KSC75's, so my ears have evolved a lot since then.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 12
True, sorry I didnt mean to say warm in a bad way. They got sharp crystal sound but I kinda of feel like theres this nice and ever so slight warm undertone that adds to its authenticity of sound the way its supposed to be heard you know.

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 12
There's nothing wrong with you at all. It personally takes me a bit of listening before I really get the sound signature of certain headphones so that I can compare the differences between the two. Also your experience is definitely source dependent and an amp could help you distinguish between the two more easily as well. Just give your ears some time to develop.

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks man, at least now I know nothings wrong with me. Im seriously thinking about getting a headphone amp for my SR-80's do you guys have any suggestions?

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveTropics
Thanks man, at least now I know nothings wrong with me. Im seriously thinking about getting a headphone amp for my SR-80's do you guys have any suggestions?

I'd stick a post in the amp section to really get started with the whole process. It's actually quite arduous, because you're going to get so many suggestions that your head will explode trying to figure out which one you really want. Also, be sure to include what type of music you listen to and how much you are willing to spend to really get some help, list your source and headphones as well.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Hey man, thanks for all the advice
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back