Is something wrong with headphones? Or my amp?
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markzi

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s, and a Fiio E7.

A lot of people said they noticed a HUGE difference when they got a Fiio E7. To be honest, I didn't notice much difference at all. I think the amp works fine, since when I change the bass booster, I can hear a difference, but other people said the difference was HUGE. I don't even have a sound card. Is there any way to test my headphones or amp? When I got my headphones, I boosted the sound to the max, just to see how loud they can get, could this have damaged them?

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 9
You may not hear a (huge) improvement, but unless you can definitely hear something wrong, it's unlikely you've damaged anything.

Maybe try alternating with the fiio enabled and disabled some and see what differences you can ascertain?

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 9
If they are damaged you will hear cracks, and perhaps pops, flabby noises or rattling. I think you would know if they were damaged. Turning them as loud as they can go is not a wise idea for future reference.

If you have a half way decent source to begin with the difference is not going to be HUGE as you may have been expecting. And what is HUGE to one person may not be so percievable to another. The E7 is not the amp I would have recommended honestly it is half the power of the Fiio amp I use (E10). I am not sure if that is a factor but I could see how it would not make that huge of an impact.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 9
You aren't fooled by hype :) Welcome to head-fi!

Stick with your ears and continue to avoid being tricked by illusions of grandeur and you'll do just fine in this hobby!

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 9
It also depends on the music genres you listen to. Try some classical or jazz (well recorded stuff) and see if there's any difference. 
(dont expect a huge change 
tongue.gif
)

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 9
People hear a difference on the same gear between today and yesterday. Let alone when they've spent money on an upgrade. If I were making a decision on where to put my money, I'd give attention mainly to opinions where the person (a) has experience, and (b) explains what's different and how.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
It also depends on the music genres you listen to. Try some classical or jazz (well recorded stuff) and see if there's any difference. 
(dont expect a huge change 
tongue.gif
)

excellent point.. But I also find poor recordings can be very revealing of good gear.. Proper gear will make a terrible recording sound, well, terrible.
Quote:
People hear a difference on the same gear between today and yesterday. Let alone when they've spent money on an upgrade. If I were making a decision on where to put my money, I'd give attention mainly to opinions where the person (a) has experience, and (b) explains what's different and how.

+100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back