is slim-x the best pcdp?
Dec 26, 2002 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sage7

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for the best PCDP I can afford. I'm really only interested in cd's, not mp3's, etc.
Read lots of discussions re. the slim-x, but how does it really stack up purely as a cd player?
Is there anything superior on the market for approximately the same price?
Presently using Sony d-e885 cdp (barely adequate), & etymotic 4s's, & hope to eventually acquire a good headphone-amp.
Any information, experiences, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 27, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sage7
I'm in the market for the best PCDP I can afford. I'm really only interested in cd's, not mp3's, etc.
Read lots of discussions re. the slim-x, but how does it really stack up purely as a cd player?
Is there anything superior on the market for approximately the same price?
Presently using Sony d-e885 cdp (barely adequate), & etymotic 4s's, & hope to eventually acquire a good headphone-amp.
Any information, experiences, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just got one and it's great. Great audio quality, great line out, great features. The remote is pretty good too. Supposedly the new 350s are the same inside as the 400s, so don't go wasting your money on the 400.

Dec 27, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your response.
I was'nt aware that there was a new 350 on the market, thoght it had been superceded by the 400?!
Do you know how the "new" 350 differs from the "old" 350?

Dec 27, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 8
I read on the Iriver bulletin boards that the main difference is a different read mechanism (which is supposed to improve the shock resistance) - apparently this has resulted in a noisier motor and head tracking.

I used to get really pissed off with my SlimX when walking around due to skipping but after the latest couple of firmware updates this really does seem to be sorted out.

The Slimx is a good player. Take this from someone who owns the Panasonic 570 (still considered by many to be a classic), the Sony 915 (not a bad player in my opinion) and the Sony MDR-900 MD recorder (an outstanding player).

The Nomad Jukebox 3 is now my weapon of choice thank's to its outstanding sound quality and powerful amplifier. The SlimX isn't that far behind though.

Dec 28, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 8
The slimX is an amazing player. extremely sexy look, lightweight and great sound. Today i went to my local store because i was going to get either grado 60's or 80's, so i walk in and talk to the guy that i know ask if i could a/b them so he starts to hook them up to a home cd player and i whip out the slimx and he gives me a look and says i should try the home but i refused and he gave me a dirty look. after i was done a/b ing them (i decided to buy the 80's) i made him try it out and he sat there listening with a surprised look on his face and after 2 minutes of dave matthews at luther college he took them off and told me that he was "extremely impressed, Ive never heard a portable that sounded nearly that good" and then asked who made it and how much it was and he was blown away. I HIGHLY SUGGEST THIS PLAYER

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 8
First of all, I read that the SlimX 400 sounds significantly better than the 350. The specs look the same, but a few weeks back someone posted that they owned both, had compared them, and the 400 was quite a bit better. Just something to think about.

Anyway, to address your question: Is it the best PCDP? It depends. Does it sound the best of any PCDP? No.

I have the SlimX 350 and a Sony D-25. The D-25 is MUCH better in all respects, soundwise; headphone out and line out. With my META42 the SlimX's line out sounds quite shrill, while the D-25 sounds amazing. That was only my initial impression based on a quick comparison of one recording, so it's not definite. I am sure, however, that the D-25 is better. However, this is all relative. The SlimX is much better than many PCDPs. AND it has skip protection, while the Sony has none. If you will be using this on the go, the Sony just isn't feasible. So, "the best PCDP", depends on how you will be using it. If you give some more details about your needs for a PCDP, I'm sure people here can give you some better advice.

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 8
I own the imp-350, and it's definitely the best pcdp feature-wise.

CDs
MP3 CDs + WMA, and other formats.
320k, 256k, 192k, 128, VBR, etc.
FM Radio (cause you gotta listen to howard stern in the morning
wink.gif
)
Firmware upgradeable (i think there's a snake game out for the remote, they also added another equalizer setting, and the menu is different)
Backlit remote
AA Battery Adapter (doubles battery life, IMO maintains sound quality for a bit longer)

I love my SlimX. I paid $200 for it and would do it again. The imp-350 costs about $120 now.

I tried looking for other models. The only other one that came close in terms of features was the Rio Volt SP250 (or is it 150?). It was twice as thick, so the choice was clear for me.

The only drawback I can think of is that the unit does not have a screen. It makes flipping through dozens of songs a chore without the remote.

I give the SlimX a 9.5/10

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Considering the quality of sound, SlimX(2 - never owned original) is only average compare with "straight" PCDP.
I like better D-EJ01, 915 and many of the old players.
Through META and HD600 I can hear distortion in high and low freq spectrum.

This player however is currently most features stuffed - luck of AM radio
frown.gif

I just upgraded my firmware to 1.01 - visualisation, snake game etc...
In my opinion this PCDP is an ultimate holiday gadget to take with you - Swiss knife made in Korea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back