is shure e3 good for sony mdr ex81 replacement?
Jul 15, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #16 of 25
yeah, but sadly at this time my wallet can't afford e4c hehehe...then maybe for now i should stick with my px200 and trying to save for e4...hehe...thanx for your comment

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
what about e3 compared with px100?i know its in different league but im still curious about that

The E3 sounds nothing like the PX100. It's not as punchy/bassy, nor does it even have the brightness/clarity of the PX100.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The E3 sounds nothing like the PX100. It's not as punchy/bassy, nor does it even have the brightness/clarity of the PX100.

Are you serious? I find the E3s to be more detailed, and much clearer than the PX100 could ever be. Claritywize the E3 are on a different league. The PX100 however are punchier than the shures, and their punchiness is even more in comparison to the etymotics. The PX100 are funner than the shures and even funner than the etys, but detail/clarity wize the PX100 are not in the same league as the better shure E3 or etys. The midrange of the shure E3, or the highs of the etys, are something the PX100 can't match.

BTW brightness is not the same as clarity.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Are you serious? I find the E3s to be more detailed, and much clearer than the PX100 could ever be. Claritywize the E3 are on a different league. .

I disagree with that. I can clearly hear things on my PX-100 that I don't with the E3. In one particular big band recording....I can hear the clatter of the sax keys which are very hard to hear with the E3. In another recording, the triangle in the background is completely missing on the E3 smothered by the midrange.

I never said brightness is the same as clarity, brightness is amplitude, and clarity is resolution/lack of distortion.

The PX-100's are what they are, decent budget headphones, but I think they are a bit underrated at the same time. I keep mine around just to show people what $50 USD will get them, and they get a lot of good sound for their money.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #20 of 25
Personally, I would probably put PX100 in the muddy spot if compared to e3c, despite its pretty good noise separation. When I compare the PX100 to ex81, ex81 beats them in clarity of the sound. Though I do prefer the super sweet sounding of the PX100. It is believed that ex81 is one of the muddier IEMs, and I truly believe that the clarity of PX100 is nowhere close to e3c...(maybe too exaggerated but....my point stands.)

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 25
EX81's are clearer than PX-100's? I disagree there.

I'm getting good clarity out of my PX-100's. It's nowhere near Ety-galaxy, but it's not bad at all, about average in the grand scheme of headphones. The E3C sounds blunt at times and too forward which deemphasizes the detail inherent in big orchestral music.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
EX81's are clearer than PX-100's? I disagree there.

I'm getting good clarity out of my PX-100's. It's nowhere near Ety-galaxy, but it's not bad at all, about average in the grand scheme of headphones. The E3C sounds blunt at times and too forward which deemphasizes the detail inherent in big orchestral music.

The E3 may have a a treble roll off making them sound as lacking in detail in music that benefits from good high end (jazz). But there is also detail in the midrange, and there, the e3 is nicely detailed, and lush at the same time. Some music like rock for example benefit from a detailed midrange more than a detailed treble IMO. This is one of the reasons why electrostatics make rock guitars sound so beautiful due to their beatiful midrange. Eitherway the PX100 is not in the same league of the shure E3, or the etys when it comes to detail and clarity. Like I said before the PX100 is a much funner phone than either the shures or the etys however.

Jul 16, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #25 of 25
I know I posted this in another thread, but be careful - many of the EX-81s (including mine) have disintegrating cables.

I have sticky tape all over mine and will be retiring them soon
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back