Is Shiit Hel 2 a good choice?
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Draghmar

New Head-Fier
Hi
I need your advice. But first things first: do understand that I'm noob (for example I have no idea what low and high gain does). :)
My 40th birthday are coming so I though I'm gonna make myself a treat and buy some DAC/Amp with planar headphones to go with (always wanted to have one). I've chosen Dekoni Blue by Fostex for the headphones so now there's a quest for finding some device to power it up.
I'll use it with my PC 100% of the time. I listen to music a lot (mostly Spotify but I have some FLACs ripped and few BD concerts) and I'm gaming. Currently I have Xonar DX and I know it doesn't have enough power for that. :wink: Because I don't know the market I started simple: search for best external soundcards. This was the path that lead me to Shiit Hel 2. Looked great on the paper but I wonder about two things:
1. Will I loose something significant by loosing Dolby toys?
2. Is it really worth the price? I mean I don't know the company like at all. This is the fist time I heard about it...and the fact that they don't even have it in stock right now and EU distributor doesn't say anything specific about getting them in stock, doesn't help here.

For my noobish approach the only downside is the lack of any display - would look nice to have it. :wink:

Looking at the price tag I was also wondering if having Magni + Modi wouldn't be fancier choice...but the lack of knowledge... :p

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 6
If you don't use the mic-in a lot, then just get a Schiit Hersey and use it with your Xonar DX:

https://www.schiit-europe.com/product/magni-heresy-headphone-amp-and-preamp-2/
Wait...so you're suggesting I won't benefit in any way from having Hel 2 or Modi as a DAC here?ould

Also why Heresey and not 3+? I tried to understand the difference but both base description and the one in FAQ didn't explain this enough for me (probably my noobish heritage :wink:). I thought 3+ should be a better choice for some reason.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Having a DAC over the Sonar DX would make music listening more enjoyable, but you can get a Modi 3 or something like that later, when you feel that it is necessary. For now the Sonar DX is fine. As for the Magni 3+, Schiit says the Hersey has a slightly “warmer”, or more tonal-based, sound than the original and will work better with the “more fun” sounding Dekoni Blue, but it is really up to you on what type of amp you want.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 6
ok, thanks for your suggestions.
I will rather go with Hel 2 or Modi (or some other device if I find one) because I wanted to have external device - that was one of the reason for the change. Outside of having free up PCIe slot I simply wanted something with knob sitting on my desk. :D Yeah, weird stuff but it's something I always wanted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back