Is Sennheiser HD555 good for Trance music?
Oct 20, 2008 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

john5220

Banned
I bought the HD555 and while it sounds ok with hip hop it just does not have the dreaded bass as I would have hoped.

Now I am running some trance with Armin here and I find it sounds good.

YouTube - Armin van Buuren ft Sharon den Adel - In and Out of Love

Can anyone tell me if these headphones are well suited for trance?

Also is there a really huge difference between the HD 600 and HD 650

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 17
Please note the youtube quality is crap I am running the AVI video file here which sounds a lot better.

I want ti know if I am missing out here on trance bass thanks.

also should I get a headphone AMP for $20 on Amazon?

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 17
Hmm I see what kinda amp you think I should get?

I am disappointed the Asus Xonar DX does not have the option of bass and trebble in the windows speaker icon by the taskbar there.

You need to use the equalizer to raise the bass but it does not give as much a punch as being able to access the bass tone within windows. I had a creative SB Audigy 2 ZS before and I could easily access that bass and treble option but not with the Xonar DX.

I hear using an Equalizer is crap and you should not have to use an Equalizer as it distorts the sound. And you should instead get an amp where you can raise bass volume.

Is this making any sense? Or was I told wrong

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear using an Equalizer is crap and you should not have to use an Equalizer as it distorts the sound.

It's best to pick components that sound right without EQ'ing because using any kind of tone controls introduces distortion. It's still useful in that it can enhance your listening experience. Plus it's fun to play with the knobs.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 17
if you click the little icon on the taskbar in windows at the bottom of the screen. And you go to advanced you will see an option to raise treble and bass.

Now if you running onboard sound this might not be there it will be graved off. But if you buy lets a Sound Blaster X-FI Falal1ty or something so and then you go to it you will be abke to adjust it.

Its called tone adjustment I believe.

After all these reviews with these morons on every review site saying how the Asus Xonar is the greatest sound card ever to grace the face of the planet with a whopping 116db SNR and all kinda thing I assume well this is the real deal.

I disappointed badly now simply because I cannot access these tone settings and have to resort to the Equalizer.

But this thing so clean that even when I adjust the Equalizer you hear little to no distortion. What
But I would of stil preferred these options. Asus Disappointed me here man.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 17
For one the DX is the lowest Asus Xonar you can buy and would lack alot of the top end features the rest would have.

Have you looked into downloading upgraded driver's..?? Alot of aftermarket soundcards have there own volume adjustment icon with equalizer settings also.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Yeah I downloaded the updated driver maby there is some add on I could also download from Asus website.

But you are right the DX is lower than the D2X but the way the reviews from techguage said it was like all the D2X had that was significant was just DTS for Blu Ray. They said the DX sounded identical for music and featured the same exact software.

No where do they ever acknowledge the thing about the bass tone settings in any review of any sound card. Now the Equalizer is also on the Xonar sound panel thats seperate just for the card when enabled and adjusted the sound sounds pretty awesome.

But I guess they simply did not realize the Creative drives a headphone better than the Asus. And the Asus drives loud speakers better as it has 116db snr.

No Biggey I guess cause if I raise the volume in the thing to high the headphone plastic starts to rattle and my ears hurt. So I guess I should not complain to much.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 17
Plus it has a DOLBY HEADPHONE option with virtual 7.1 surround so all that increases the quality of the bass and stuff by a significant amount so I guess this will do.

Still much better than onboard actually Asus claims its 35 times cleaner than onboard sound.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much in your budget do you have to invest in a portable or desktop amp?

No more than $40 USD.

I saw 2 Amps on Amazon one for $20 and another for $40.

I would assume this should do since I already have aAsus XOnar DX sound card. It goes pretty loud seriously I can't turn it past half way. Gets way to loud.

Does a headphone AMP improve the quality of bass? if the AMP can't improve the quality of bass and overall sound then it wont make much sense.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 17
I went to my kitchen to try my 555s on my iMac(Intel HD audio, integrated) and it sounded pretty good listening to Trance Radio. The bass is not that punchy but it's there then I tried the 202s and that had a lot of bass. Dirty and muddy bass. I remember when I once owned the PA2V2, it enhanced my 555s and 650s and not just in volume but more bass impact and clearer highs. The cheaper CMoys on eBAy should give your 555s some impact.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 17
Aah nice once an AMP can give more bass thats nice. I will look into one as I already spent a bundle on the HD555 and the Asus Xonar DX. And seeing I live in the caribbean you can bet I really paid a bundle after shipment and VAT and DUTY and all this rubbish you need to pay on an item here.

Imagine the HD555 ultimately costed me $180 USD after purchasing it for $100 USD on amazon. lol

Why ow why could I not be living in good old USA. Hmm then again I live for free here I don't even pay rent we just have like a big house here so why build another one you know. Or why even rent.

But still must be great to live in the greatest place on earth America I bet?
I am told Florida has unlimited latinas that look even better than Shakira.

How true is this? Cause I really do feel I need a nice Shakira type Latina. Maby I should migrate? its something I have always wanted to do since everyone keeps telling me America is the greatest place on earth.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 17
I see not to worry transexpress will only charge $10 US shipping from Miami to Trinidad if they don't do world wide shipping.

Looks like a nice amp though but I don't absolutely need a pocket AMP I believe a home amp will do as I only keep these headpones in my PC room.

You got any other amps designed for home use BTW? Will they be better than the pocket amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back