is sennheiser hd25 's sound quality worth its price??
Dec 3, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #76 of 114
Has anyone tried using the 580 cable in a one-sided fashion? I'm wondering if you ran it like the stock one through one side, would one of the sides fit through the cable channels?

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #77 of 114
Oh damn, it would be double sided? Definately no way I'm doing that. I really like the one sided cable that it has.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #78 of 114
For me it's not the double sided that bothers me as much as having the plugs hanging out of the bottom. It seems to me that they could easily be ripped out of the cans if I snag the cable. The way the single sided stock cable is set up it secures them very nicely. I have 3 computers in my office and I'm always sliding my chair from one to the other. Sometimes the cord snags and I go
blink.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #79 of 114
Lol that's very true. I get up and walk away so often I'm surprised I haven't ruined the plug, cable attachment to the phone, or ripped out my soundcard... I try not to do it, but I've probably walked off with them on my head at least 5 times, and it hasn't broken so far.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #80 of 114
The HD580 cable is thicker than that of the HD25 by a substantial amount. It doesn't fit in the crack.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #82 of 114
Bringing up this old thread to ask, has the price of the h25s shot up recently? I can't seem to find it for under 180 and I hear all this chatter about 150 being the norm. The higher price tag makes me even more skeptical towards purchasing the slightly flawed phones.

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #83 of 114
I have been searching around all night for info on the HD 25. I am wanting a change from my D-66s which I really love, but lack a certain "umph" which I am looking for right now. I'm moving to NYC and need a new set of cans for the street, subway, and cafes. I have debated for months between canalphones, the HD 280s. and many more.
Please Help.
Is the HD 25 right coming from an iPod?
Is the cable change nessesary?
If the cable change difficult, as I have no such experiance with this studd at all?
If changing the cable is a must, I know it is not a must in the imperative sort of way but a liberal must, will this reduce the portability of the phones significantly?

Apr 11, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #85 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
The HD580 cable is thicker than that of the HD25 by a substantial amount. It doesn't fit in the crack.

Is the HD600 cable the same as the 580? I just fit the HD600 pretty easily into the crack by pushing the cable connector/guide on the stock HD600 cable down and splitting the cable even further. Actually, I'm pretty happy with this mod, just the right cable has a few inches of extra cable length I've got to tie down...

hd25.jpg

Best,

-Jason

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #86 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scholarlymonk
I have been searching around all night for info on the HD 25. I am wanting a change from my D-66s which I really love, but lack a certain "umph" which I am looking for right now. I'm moving to NYC and need a new set of cans for the street, subway, and cafes. I have debated for months between canalphones, the HD 280s. and many more.
Please Help.
1.Is the HD 25 right coming from an iPod?
2.Is the cable change nessesary?
3.If the cable change difficult, as I have no such experiance with this studd at all?
4.If changing the cable is a must, I know it is not a must in the imperative sort of way but a liberal must, will this reduce the portability of the phones significantly?

I've numbered your questions for ease of answering:
1.I don't have iPod so I can't answer your first question. However, the HD 25 is easily drivable so no amp is necessary. I don't know what you're used to but if it's the stock buds you will notice a big improvement.
2.No the cable change is not necessary you will get good sound from the stock headphones. However, my experience is that yielded significant improvement. Also, keep in mind that there are different alternatives and I am speaking from my experience with an expensive custom model.
3.The cable change is not difficult. For most of them you will be switching from a single sided entry to a double sided entry because the new cable will be too big to fit in the headband. To accomodate this you need to remove the cups and invert them.
4.Depending on which cable you use - and it is not imperative that you do change it - it may have an impact on portability. A lot of people like the single sided cable for portable use, although it's never been an issue for me. Another consideration is the type of plug the cable terminates to.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #87 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scholarlymonk
Is the HD 25 right coming from an iPod?

Yes
Quote:

Is the cable change nessesary?

Not really but the sound improvement is noticeable.
Quote:

If the cable change difficult, as I have no such experiance with this studd at all?

It's very simple. Quote:

If changing the cable is a must, I know it is not a must in the imperative sort of way but a liberal must, will this reduce the portability of the phones significantly?

It certainly is not a must and the portablilty is indeed reduced, not significantly, but sufficiently in my opinion. You'll lose the short cable length and the angled plug. Without doing the mod Jason suggested, you'll also lose the cable's single-sidedness, which is the main portability factor. I'm currently using the stock cable again because the HD 580 cable keeps getting pulled off and when sitting in a streetcar, the sound improvements are not enough to justify the added hassle.
The easiest solution is to simply keep the stock cable. The advanced solution is to buy the HD 25-13 cable and reterminate it with a 3.5mm plug. The expensive and exlcusive solution is to buy a Headphile cable. The good price/performance ratio but unpractical solution is to use the HD 580 cable. I'll have to try Jason's suggestion but it looks like it could work really well.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #89 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silfer
SP,
Have you seen that thread I linked to. Really nice way to mod the HD600 cable to be onesided.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, thanks for the corrected link. I think I'll use the posted idea for dealing with the cable excess.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back