Is SENNHEISER HD 598 a wise upgrade from sony xb500 and koss portarpos or should i go for Grado SR 60 or 80i??
Nov 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sulachhan

New Head-Fier
I have recently ordered SENNHEISER HD 598 in Sweden for 1700 kroner($ 250) and hoping that it will arrive within 5 working days .i have not tested this headphone yet and i want to know if it is a wise dicision to buy this headphone as an upgrade from sony xb500 and koss portapros.Or should i buy  Grado SR 60 or 80 i ??

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I have recently ordered SENNHEISER HD 598 in Sweden for 1700 kroner($ 250) and hoping that it will arrive within 5 working days .i have not tested this headphone yet and i want to know if it is a wise dicision to buy this headphone as an upgrade from sony xb500 and koss portapros.Or should i buy  Grado SR 60 or 80 i ??

Heya,

Yes and No.

Yes: it's a good headphone, you're going towards higher quality with it.
No: you never listened to it, it's not bassy and you're coming from pure bassiness, it may not be something you actually like.

If you like a bright signature, neutral to maybe kind of shy bass, then the HD598 will do well for you. But if you were looking for a warm headphone with some low end rumble, some lushness, then you will be very underwhelmed.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Basically what MalVeaux said. The bass on it is very insubstantial as it puts more emphasis on the mids and highs. You may not like it because the XB500 is a very bass heavy set, so that's what you're used to. However, if you can appreciate the clarity of the headphones, I think you will really love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back