Is S/PDIF the same as digital Coax?
Jan 26, 2015 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

EthanHarte

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fi community, I need some help with an audio interface that I bought.
I have an Avid M-Box 3 and I am trying to route the audio to my sound system. The problem is the mbox only has S/PDIF and analog out via quarter jacks (which i cant use). I also have a Pioneer Elite vsx-40 receiver which has a coax in.
So my question is, can I just buy a simple Coax or an RCA cable to connect via S/PDIF out on the m-box to the Coax in on the receiver?
Thanks for the help!

btw sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum. Still kinda new.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hey head-fi community, I need some help with an audio interface that I bought.
I have an Avid M-Box 3 and I am trying to route the audio to my sound system. The problem is the mbox only has S/PDIF and analog out via quarter jacks (which i cant use). I also have a Pioneer Elite vsx-40 receiver which has a coax in.
So my question is, can I just buy a simple Coax or an RCA cable to connect via S/PDIF out on the m-box to the Coax in on the receiver?
Thanks for the help!

btw sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum. Still kinda new.

The S/PDIF coaxial out on the Avid M-Box 3 should be able to connect to the S/PDIF coaxial input on the receiver.
The Coaxial cable usually just looks like a thicker RCA to RCA cable.

You should (?) also be able to connect the Box 3's 1/4" jacks to the analog input (red/white) on the receiver.
two cables with 1/4" mono plug male to RCA connector should do it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Oh wow. I might go with the 1/4" jacks then because then i can also have dual output to headphones.
THANKS!

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 4
  Oh wow. I might go with the 1/4" jacks then because then i can also have dual output to headphones.
THANKS!

I've have not bothered to read the manual on the Box 3.
But it would make sense that each 1/4" jack (labeled Monitor), are mono analog audio outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back