Is Rock n Roll almost dead?
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #62 of 79
You know, this type of talk does beg certain questions. Especially around here where so many of us (myself included) truly seethe for new adventures in music.

Myself, I think I'm a bit of a curiosity since much of my collection (easily 50%) is made up of Rock music from before I was even born. Certainly progression in music, new sounds, new ways to express ourselves, etc. is all very important. But at what point did music become disposable, obsolete?

To claim Rock is dead is misleading. Music - all (recorded or written) music - is immortal. Genres stop being productive contributors to the ongoing musical tapestry from time to time, but their falling into the shadows doesn't invalidate the contributions already made. If one thinks of music as an evolutionary art form rather than a revolutionary one, then to say a type of music is dead is by no means a bad thing, lamentable though it may be. One can always go back to what they loved before, and still look forward to what is new.

Just never trust the mainstream media to point you in any meaningful directions. Somewhere along the lines, popularity became far too meritous an attribute.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #63 of 79
was it ever alive?
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #64 of 79
I would argue the popularity of rock music has definitely died off, but there are still countless bands flying under the clear channel radar that are putting out some amazing material.

Rock will live on, as will just about every other form of music, but its popularity will wax and wane.

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #65 of 79
Once we get past this awful trend of emo/punk/pop/rock hopefully some new greats will redefine the genre. Velvet Revolvers new album is a breath of fresh air.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #66 of 79
Get past what trend? You can listen to whatever you want, trends be damned.

Everything in the world is out there RIGHT NOW. The only key is you have to actually look for it.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #67 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once we get past this awful trend of emo/punk/pop/rock hopefully some new greats will redefine the genre. Velvet Revolvers new album is a breath of fresh air.

Thank you - QFT

So true. I think it is a bad phase. I also think people are taking the word "dead" too literally. Dead in this case means = currently not the hot, popular genre compared to other musical genres. In that case, it is dead.

In the 60s it was very alive.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #68 of 79
How can something that takes up a giant share of the airwaves be considered dead? It's simply transformed itself into something that any sensible music lover would hate. But it is still very much alive and a dominant driving force in the music industry - unfortunately.

Not that I care. Creativity has moved on, and has left rock behind, for the most part. There are talented bands out there I'm sure (Porcupine Tree used to be one, and others will come along too), but I'm having too much fun exploring the frontiers of electronic music, which is where the future is.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #69 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFMFT.

Velvet Revolver is just one example of the tremendous strength and power rock will always have. You can drive it underground, you can commoditize it, you can co-opt it, but there will always be bands that stand for an "authentic" version of rock - that nebulous and unknowable entity bands like Velvet Revolver try to channel. And if bands like Nickelback or any of their clones don't do it for you, you aren't looking hard enough: Priestess, Starewell, The Villains, Stabilo, Matt Good, Sam Roberts, Kaiser Chiefs, Queens of the Stone Age, and, last but not least, Velvet Revolver. All of these bands have released an album in the recent past or are about to in the near future. If you ever need to find good music, look north to Canada - we have an absolutely awesome scene right now. Look up the Canadiana Obscura thread for ideas.

If you think rock is dead, I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if bands like Nickelback or any of their clones don't do it for you, you aren't looking hard enough

If you have to look hard in any genre for good music it is dead. BTW, dead doesn't = no good music available. Just not popular and mainstream (at least to me).

Classical is dead but I still enjoy it. And there is more than a lifetime of good classical to listen to.

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #71 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have to look hard in any genre for good music it is dead. BTW, dead doesn't = no good music available. Just not popular and mainstream (at least to me).

In this case, the entire thread is horribly misleading... in my opinion.

When somebody tells me that a genre is dead, it implies (to me) that there's no longer any quality music being put out within the constraints of that genre. That is so far from the truth in the context of "rock" that this thread is more than a little infuriating.

If something isn't popular or mainstream but still contains a wealth of wonderful music that's being consistently made in the background, why in the world would you call it dead?

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #72 of 79
^ good point - but how could you say any genre is ever dead under those terms. I'm sure there is some good polka and definitely good classical music still coming out, but most people don't know about it.

Jazz is a good example - while it was the most popular music at one time, it has died down but still is very productive.... yet most still listen to the classics. I wonder if that is true for rock. How many Led Zepplin, AC/DC, etc. sell compared to the new stuff? Can anyone find that out?

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #73 of 79
It seems to me like the older guys are keeping what I would call "good rock" or even "good rock/metal" alive. So my question is where is the next Tool, RCHP, Sublime, 311, Mudvayne, STP, Stabbing Westward, etc.?

Granted there are some great ones out there that are somewhat new and decent but the rock stations on the radio that used to have some kick ass music are now off my dial with the whinny emo punk/pop and tired sounds of Staind, Nickelback and all the clones.

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]Polka has not died, thus Rock will not die. Any questions?[/size]

How many polkas have you got on your DAP ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back