Is Rock n Roll almost dead?
Jul 6, 2007 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

eric5469

100+ Head-Fier
Is there really anybody to get excited about anymore besides maybe the White Stripes? Look at the top 40 albums in Rolling Stone magazine, week in and week out it's the same ****. ie rhiannon, maroon 5. give me a break. I want to find new music to really like but man it's hard. I find myself listening to americana type groups mostly because there's just nothing exciting besides maybe the White Stripes. Entire albums recorded on Mac computers give me a break! By the way if you want to hear a duo that falls under americana that some of you have never heard of check out Over the Rhine. What are you guys rocking out to thats not hard core? There is not much rock for us guys in that 35-45 range.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kizza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the good music is buried behind crappy emo-rock pop crap and R&B bollocks

I agree. Is the future of rock with groups like Modest Mouse and Good Charlotte or all the bands that sound like Nickelback?

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 79
I'm hoping that the future of rock is with groups like Stolen Babies, Dog Fashion Disco, Estradasphere, Shining, Bubblemath, Freak Kitchen, Bumblefoot, and other things of that nature.

There's lots to get excited about today, imo (most of it isn't in rock, though).

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 79
We'll see more "rock" movements, and there will be more pop bastardizations of it i'm sure as well. Rock and Roll is far from dead, although we may be done seeing any equivalent to Billy Haley or The Rolling Stones (depending on your definition of rock and roll) in the mainstream.

Jul 6, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 79
"It was coughin' up blood yesterday."

Check out:
Aliens - Astronomy for Dogs
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Paul Weller -

. . . but they are getting few and far between.

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 79
Rock N Roll was USA music that died when Chuck Berry was thrown in jail after his first great fling with Chess Records.Rock music is still hanging on the last time I checked.It will die when people stop being creative.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 79
I feel like it's coming back alive. Ever since I've started aggressively looking for music instead of waiting for it to come into the spotlight I've been enjoying some incredible stuff. About 95% of it is from music made after 2000. I'm not in the 35-45 age category though, I'm in my late twenties so that might make a difference. But I'd say if you're not seeing stuff you like in Rolling Stone, look elsewhere. There's a lot of great rock music being made today it's just not the same stuff you've listened to from previous generations and not all of it sounds like Nickelback (Modest Mouse doesn't even come close to sounding like them). There is no way rock is dying, it was just taking the back seat for awhile.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 79
There's a LOT of great music still being made! You just have to go a bit off the beaten track.

Check out Wilco, Built to Spill, My Morning Jacket, and BTW, what's supposed to be wrong with Death Cab and Modest Mouse? And don't forget Franz Ferdinand.

There's also great new albums this year from older bands like Rush and Porcupine Tree.

No, rock is not even sick, let alone dead!

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 79
No music lasts forever. Ragtime? Jazz? Crooners of standards? They're still around in some form but hardly vital or still developing, mainly subsisting as a nostalgia trip in some cultural backwater.

We're starting to see this in rock, too, with all these big shows like the "Australian Pink Floyd" show where anonymous look and sound-alikes "re-create" the experience of defunct mega-bands. Phony Beatlemania (to quote Joe Strummer, soon to be replaced by his own doppleganger in some tawdry Clash review) far from "biting the dust" may in fact be the "future" of rock.
frown.gif

As the main focus of pop music, the center of the musical universe, yes, rock's been dead for 12 years now (died when Kurt blew his brains out). Hip-Hop took over and left us with these bed-wetting emo clones adenoidally wailing about their post-pubescent fear of women.

The good news is that rap sales are down, and the industry is worried that rap is dead.

There's an opening for something new to happen. It'll probably suck, but we'll see...

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 79
"Is Rock n Roll almost dead?"

To my mind it's been dead for some time now. If I had to give it a point in time, I would say it died with the demise of Nirvana.

- augustwest

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 79
Check out the Drive By Truckers, especially decoration day or The Dirty South.

Rock is far from dead, but the traditional means for learning about new music (radio, magazines) is certainly very very dead. Most music I hear about is from blogs, message boards, and torrent sites.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 79
As the main focus of pop music, the center of the musical universe, yes, rock's been dead for 12 years now (died when Kurt blew his brains out). Hip-Hop took over and left us with these bed-wetting emo clones adenoidally wailing about their post-pubescent fear of women.

Well said Markl!

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 79
I agree with Markl. Every music has a maturity and decline. Rock was at it's peak in the 60-70s and 80s kind started to get cheesy. The 90s spun it in a different direction, but now the creativity is pretty much gone.

We need young creative people - but also an record industry that doesn't only accept cookie cutter music... I won't hold my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back