Is PLaystation 3's SACD any good?
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheBoss

100+ Head-Fier
I just found a $200 40gb PS3 that plays SACD on craigslist. I heard they are very rare within PS3 community.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger for this but...

Is PS3's SACD hi-quality? I have an Pink floyd's dark side of the moon SACD as a gift, and I can't wait to hear how it sounds on SACD.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh, yeah, you are right, the 20 the 60 and the 80. The 40gb however does not.

To be sure, there are two different models with 80GB. The 2007 one is SACD-compatible, the 2008 model isn't.

Quote:

The easiest give away is the 4 usb ports.

That is correct. You can also check for the logo on the side. Or see the overview in the PS3 SACD FAQ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can anyone comment on the SQ of PS3's SACD playback?

It's excellent but in order to enjoy multichannel (and I'm sure with DSotM you'll want that) you need an A/V Receiver with HDMI input. Again, see the FAQ.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 16
The SACD playback on the PS3 is a compromise, even though you need HDMI the DSD stream is converted to LPCM on the PS3 - and that is then feed via the HDMI to the amp.
If you want a BluRay player,a games machine and a SACD then the PS3 is a no brainer.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SACD playback on the PS3 is a compromise, even though you need HDMI the DSD stream is converted to LPCM on the PS3 - and that is then feed via the HDMI to the amp.
If you want a BluRay player,a games machine and a SACD then the PS3 is a no brainer.

Actually you can send it BITSTREAM to your receiver. The only thing the PS3 (not the new mini PS3) can do is send Dolby TrueHD, DTS MAHD via BITSTREAM.

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 16
I love the SACD feature in PS3s. I didn't think it would be much at first, just something they added on because they could. I was pleasantly surprised.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Actually you can send it BITSTREAM to your receiver. The only thing the PS3 (not the new mini PS3) can do is send Dolby TrueHD, DTS MAHD via BITSTREAM.

SACD as a format, cannot send bitstream to anything. Optical does not have the bandwidth to do LPCM for surround sound. The only way to get LPCM for surround sound is to use HDMI and have a receiver that is capable of handling LPCM for surround sound.

Also, the only way you can listen to SACD is to use PS3 in LPCM mode to send the signals via HDMI. Not sure about sound quality, but itll give you surround sound, and theres a good chance that itll be decent since its Sony's own format afterall.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SACD as a format, cannot send bitstream to anything. Optical does not have the bandwidth to do LPCM for surround sound. The only way to get LPCM for surround sound is to use HDMI and have a receiver that is capable of handling LPCM for surround sound.

Also, the only way you can listen to SACD is to use PS3 in LPCM mode to send the signals via HDMI. Not sure about sound quality, but itll give you surround sound, and theres a good chance that itll be decent since its Sony's own format afterall.

That's not quite accurate. Any SACD player with a 1.2a or newer HDMI port can output native DSD. There are a number of newer preamps and receivers that can decode DSD.

As far as the PS3 goes, it's a fine SACD player, but the feature's been dropped from newer models.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry, not true. Contrary, no PS3 model can bitstream DSD, not even PS3 Slim even though it can handle DSD Disc format and can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. All PS3 models convert DSD to (high-resolution multichannel) PCM. See this news bit.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 16
So for those of us that are currently baffled as hell, how do we hook-up our SACD compatible PS3s to our amps to listen to a SACD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back