Is PCMCIA better than USB as a transport for laptop?
Sep 4, 2007 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bonkon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I want to use my laptop as a transport and need either a USB or PCMCIA to digital out converter. I have been searching around but the general opinion seems that USB is very dependant of the port and all of them do not have the same quality. It is also limited 16/48kHz which doesn't really matter to me since I only listen to 16/44.1 stereo materials anyways. But then again I read that USB powered devices are not good due to the sometimes bad USB port output voltage. What determines a good converter? Asio support, etc..? I certainly am not looking for the DAC capabilities and numerous inputs and outputs of these devices, but if it means better conversion capabilities then recommend me some. I am just looking to convert and need a device that does it well, portability would be nice but not necessary. Or should I just get an pcmcia device like the audigy 2 notebook? Does it get rid of the problems that USB encounters?

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 6
PCMCIA could have "bad" output voltages as well. I am not sure whether the PCMCIA sound cards run off of 5V or 3.3V but either way, each voltage most likely comes from only one source in the laptop.

I assume you want something portable, but I think the only way to guarantee good voltages is to have a separate power supply from the notebook.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 6
go with PCMCIA (People Cant Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms - old techy joke)
wink.gif

its not prone to the same bandwidth bottlenecks and power management, in effect it takes your component deeper and closer into the system, as it runs at the system bus speed, having none of the associated hardware transfer speed limitations, and will offer superior communications latency.

a more stable option always, as USB devices are prone to being flakey with their software stack driver within the host os, how many times has a usb device maybe not shown up, or needed to be replaced in and re-initialized or refreshed due to the driver software needed.

HTH

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 6
usb is better as it will work on any modern os aslong as it follows the spec. If your spending alot of money having something not go obserlete next week is a plus.

Of the devices I know of the best are all usb (EMU for example is ment to be nice) and there are plenty of diy designs using usb audio.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
usb is better as it will work on any modern os aslong as it follows the spec. If your spending alot of money having something not go obserlete next week is a plus.

that statement is absolutely crazy!

a) pcmcia works on "any modern os"
b) pcmcia will not become obsolete next week.

comparing them is apples and oranges. both different and good at what they do.

im sorry to be rude but you clearly dont know what you are talking about!

pcmcia is clearly the thoroughbred in terms of this threads topic.

why do you think any gamer out there will tell you, the very best low latency way to connect in to your adsl, is not with a usb modem, not with a router, but with a buiilt in pci card, straight off the bus!!!!!!!

also with musicians, they require a low latency technology not external USB.

this is highlighted in the fact that of all capture cards, which can capture at the fastest rate and the highest resolution. usb or pci? answer: PCI - cause its bus based like pcmcia and not throttled or restricted by itself.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Gang,

The drawbacks for PCMCIA, PCI and any inside the computer device is that the power supply and noise associated with high switching will effect the sound.

The idea behind much of the USB claims comes from the fact that you can provide your own high grade linear supply and the results will be better.

I use to design pc's and that's why I only do USB stuff now.

Thanks
Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back